Has anyone brewed with Barley Malt Powder?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

locldrfrx

Has anyone brewed with Barley Malt Powder?

Post by locldrfrx »

Has anyone brewed with barley malt powder (http://www.barryfarm.com/nutri_info/bak ... ymalt.html)? Just wondering how much to use in a 5 gallon Batch. I bought some to try in a stout. It looks like Amber DME but to get the information on it to enter it into Beertools is impossible. Any thoughts... suggestions..... Thanks
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Diastatic power?

Post by billvelek »

It's not DME but rather it is FLOUR, as noted by the website itself; it therefore still needs to be mashed, so there are three considerations to think about:
1. Dough in: if this is a fine flour, I think you will have trouble avoiding dough-balls when you add strike water; this can be alleviated somewhat by mixing the flour thoroughly with other courser grist (other grains or hulls).
2. Tannins: it is my understanding that one reason malt is 'crushed' for beer rather than 'ground' for beer is because we don't want to pulverize the hulls into fine particles that could get past our filter-bed and false-bottom/bazooka/whatever and into our beer where it can release tannins as it is boiled.
3. Lautering & Sparge: because the husks are ground into powder, you will definitedly need some other way to form a filter bed so that you won't suffer a stuck run-off/sparge; this is related to #2 because it is caused by the grinding of the barley hulls/husk into a powder, but it's a separate complication and will require the addition of a lot of other grain or hulls, which might or might not also cure your potential tannin problem, above.

Heck, after taking the time to draft the above, I just looked at the price; at $3.19/pound, you would be well advised to forget this. Compared to regular malted barley -- even pre-milled and in small quantities -- that's ridiculous.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
locldrfrx

Post by locldrfrx »

Thanks