Style catagory for this recipe?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Style catagory for this recipe?

Post by Legman »

I've got a recipe that I brew for my friends that they all really like and I was trying to figure out would be the appropriate style for this. I'm not really sure where it fits in. It's sort of a blonde/amber, but not exactly. I was thinking maybe specialty beer because of the orange peel and the amount of honey it has. Any thoughts which catagory????

5 gallon batch/late extract method

0.83 lbs. Crystal Malt 40
slothrob

British Summer Ale

Post by slothrob »

I'd say it looks a lot like a relatively new style called a British Summer Ale.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Never heard of that. Sounds good though.
slothrob

Summer Lightning

Post by slothrob »

I've had the Summer Lightning, and it's good. More like an American Pale Ale, in that it is dry, bitter and a little citrusy, but with a hint of British esters. I've had a few others that have resembled Ordinary Bitters, but paler and often with an American hop added at the end for an aroma that is different than typical OB's.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

I was thinking about entering this recipe in a competition, so I have to pick a catagory to put it in. What do you think it best fits in? Only thing I could best match it up with is specialty beer. With the amount of honey in it, I'm guessing it would be a specialty beer since there is no offical honey beer style.
slothrob

catagory

Post by slothrob »

I can't say I know where it would best fit.
Every catagory I think of leads me to why it wouldn't be a prize winner in that catagory. I'm not a competitor, but sometimes a nice beer is just a nice beer. If it wasn't brewed to fit a style, which is a lot of what competitions are about, it may just be best to enjoy it.

That said, in addition to specialty, it might pass as a Special Bitter depending on how prominent the orange peel is.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Yeah I'm not sure either. The orange peel comes through as a slight citris falvor, but the honey really dominates over the malt flavor. So with the honey flavor being so prominent, I'm not sure what to do with it. I didn't really brew it to any centain style at the time.
Like you said...maybe just enjoy it.
Come on 5:30!!!!!!!
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

It's always 5:30 somewhere! :lol:
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

Here Here
"B"