Recipe help

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

OTD

Recipe help

Post by OTD »

Im new to this forum and relatively new to brewing. My brewing adventures have pretty much just been very simple kits (like coopers). This is my first original recipe and would like some advice on what you guys think of it. Any advice/ suggestions/ experience would be much appreciated

By the way, I'm thinking of leaving out the corn sugar, like I said, any input is welcomed and appreciated

.8 lbs. Crystal Malt 60
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Here you go

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I ran your recipe through BeerTool Pro. You didn't provide a style that you were going for so I guessed American Brown Ale (10C).
Recommended changes:
Delete the Dry Amber Extract and Corn Sugar
Increase the Black Roast to .5 pounds
This will give you:
OG 1.052 FG: 1.013 IBU: 29.5 SRM: 23 ABV: 5%
These are all well within the style.

One of your concerns should be that your OG would have been too high. This is my two cents anyway. Hope it helps.
OTD

Post by OTD »

Thanks tripel. As far as style, I wasnt overly concerned with sticking to a model. Quite the opposite actually. I am also concerned about the hops. The reason im using what I am is thats what I have on hand. Think it is adequate?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You should have a plan

Post by brewmeisterintng »

OTD
I am not saying this to be mean but you can't just throw things into a pot and hope for the best. You can, but you might be very disappointed. I often have a plan of what ingredients I want to use and what I want the beer to taste like when it gets done. But I do not brew until I find out what the color, alcohol, bitterness and original/ final gravities are going to be in accordance to the style I am shooting for. I often have to make minor adjustments to ensure that MY beer will be a product that I'm proud to share with others. If you aren't concerned about these things, maybe this hobby isn't for you. Again, I don't tell you this to be mean but to try to help you as a fellow brewer. I wish you luck with you next brew and I hope that you might take what I have said to heart.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Well, not everyone brews to style and,now and then, most of us design a recipe to use up some excess inventory. That said, the style guidelines are a good place to start before deciding where you want to go.

Anyway, the recipe looks fine, but it's hard to judge without knowing what you're looking for. If you just want to use up some ingredients, it looks like a drinkable beer. Probably passable as an Amber or Red, as it stands.

As far as recipe formulation, I start with an idea of what I want: malt profile, hop profile, yeast profile. Then I try to come up with a combination of ingredients that I think will get me there. Then I look at what ingredients I have access to and make substitutions where necessary. Make the beer, taste it, and make changes as needed.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP