Hot Picks from BeerTools.com recipes

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Hot Picks from BeerTools.com recipes

Post by stumpwater »

Sorry folks for the poll, but as I sit quaffing this amazing porter (Stumpwater's Midnight Porter - now posted in the recipe index), I wonder what other recipes in the index that other's recommend? Life is so much better since I bought the keg, I really want to know what you all think I should fill it with.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hefe

Post by Freon12 »

I don't know about you, but Hefe weizen is THE summer beer for me. I have a posted Hefe that has been viewed 157 times with no comments. I wonder if anybody lived to comment?

S.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Recipe Database Issues

Post by andytv »

Not to change the subject, but..... I rarely see any comments in the recipe archive, other than brewing notes by the author. This is a flaw (and its our own fault) of the recipe archive at beertools. When I first started tinkerng w/ homebrew, I used the free tools here on this site. I probably have posted recipes that are yet untried. Since then I have maintained my own "private stash" in my gold member cache. I'd like to be able to brew someone elses good recipes, but how do I pick?? How do I know if it is a serious recipe or the result of a novice "tinkering". I think we, as memebers/visitors to this site, need to start adding some comments to our own posting to legitimize the recipes. I'd be willing to try someone else's if i knew it would work!

I think that maybe someone on Beertools staff may be able to add a field to the recipe index to indicate if the recipe has been tried or not?? Anyone listening??

Lets all discuss this and come up with a way to identify serious recipes vs trials.

Andy
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

I second that andytv

Post by stumpwater »

I agree with you about the rating system. A cooking site that I visit has a rating system. You enter wether you cooked the recipe, and then rate it out of 5 stars. It is a good way for a beginner to tell which recipe of chocolate cookies to bake if 200+ people baked them and rated them 5 stars.

On a back note, the two recipes that I have tried from BeerTools.com, both of which are excellent, are Number 7 porter (which I changed a bit to come up with my recipe) and Azorean Brewer's Hellealt.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

what is the name of the recipe

Post by stumpwater »

I was looking at starting a batch of Hefe or Kolsch on the weekend. What is the name of your recipe?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good comments all...

Post by dartedplus »

I agree that there really is no way to tell if a recipe is tried and true, or someone's tinkering, but I have gone back and added comments to my recipes that I made prior to this. I think we should all make an effort to go and do that, because I agree with whomever said it, that it would be nice to know if a recipe came out good or it needed "some more of this or less of that ". As a good summer beer, I would recommend the Blue Eyed Blonde. I feel it was one of my best beers. That was last summer, man I wish I had some now.
I hope this is something we can all do to make this a better place, later all.
Ed
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

HefeWeizen

Post by Freon12 »

I didn't have a hip name ready for it. I have made this beer 3 times and keep going back. Remember to boil wheat beers longer. This was a 90min. boil. I think I may have double posted it with and without a dash. You can click other beers by this author to check.

S.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Recipe comments system

Post by jeff »

A while back, one of the visitors to BeerTools.com expressed interest in a recipe commenting system that would help distinguish the true winning recipes from the 10 minute thrown together recipes.
I thought it was a good idea, and decided to invest the time, energy, and loss of sleep to make the idea a reality. I was very excited about the launch, but the comments didn