Wyeast Activators

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Arneba28

Wyeast Activators

Post by Arneba28 »

I have brewed 3 extract batches so far. so I am new but I am looking at starting to use liquid yeast, I noticed at my homebrew store that all the Wyeast strains have activators that you can get with them...are they needed? are they just nutrients? should I spend the extra $7?
slothrob

Activators

Post by slothrob »

The Wyeast strains are available as Propagators or Activators. You don't need both, as they both contain the same yeast. The main difference is that the Activators contain more cells (enough for a low gravity beer without a starter, in theory) and have a bit of nutrient that allows you to proof the yeast in the pack to know it's alive before using it. The Propagatores require at least a 1-2 liter starter for even a low OG batch, while most experienced brewers would recomend a starter with the Activators for anything over 1.040-1.050. In truth, most experienced brewers would probably always recomend a started, but admit that you can probably get away with just an Activator for something like an Ordinary Bitter or a 3 gallon batch.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Arneba28

Post by Arneba28 »

thank you...very helpful...more then the man at the brew store!
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Arneba28 wrote:thank you...very helpful...more then the man at the brew store!
That's unfortunate.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
thebirdman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by thebirdman »

[quote="Arneba28"]thank you...very helpful...more then the man at the brew store![/quote]

I also will culture the wyeast with the activator...I personally have 2 on the go
"Not that it may be needed" but a light and a dark..
I'll use a fresh pack in say a dark ale, primary it, than save the remains to a sterile mason jar, add some sterile water with a bit of dry extract, wake it up again "so things settle out" than refrigerate it...
Day before brewing...boil up a starter, chill, and add 2-3 oz from the mason
jar...work mint for me...usally will do 7-10 batches off that...than start over..