Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

toadswarts

Yeast

Post by toadswarts »

Is there a chart that will compare a lager yeast to a comparable Ale yeast to get the same results,with in reason? Or Ale to Lager
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Older Unanswered Post

Post by brewmeisterintng »

The short answer is no. Lagers are lagers and ales are ales. Ales will always have esters, fruit favors etc. and lagers are clean slow fermenting bottom yeasts that allow the true beer to come through. That is why ales are so popular amongst home brewers. A lot of the imperfections will be masked/ concealed by the fermenting process. IMHO if you want a lager, brew and ferment with a lager yeast at a lager temperature. My first lager was sucked, however it taught me that I had to be on my A game or I would see/ taste the imperfections.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Older Unanswered Post

Post by bfabre »

My first lager sucked also,
Same with me my first attempt was just that an attempt. A lot of things went wrong. Wrong ferment temp, too high it blew the top of the primary and contaminated the batch. Then I used a alternate yeast that produced sulfer while fermenting. Others too numerous to mention. I got over confident. Just goes to show you have to pay close attention when brewing a lager. The second batch was better. Now I working on the third. Gets better every time. Stay with it...
Last edited by bfabre on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"B"
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

n