Dry Stout

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

rrosa
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Dry Stout

Post by rrosa »

Hi,

I am planning to brew a Dry Stout with toasted, coffee and biscuit flavor, so I thought of using about 10% Simpson's Brown malt and 5% Briess' Special Roast.

Is the amount of Special Roast appropriate? I see it being used in very small quantities. Also about the amount of Brown malt, whether I could use more or not and what to expect from it; never used it.

I am using Dry English yeast to get... well... dry. Don't want fruity or malty-sweet., and I don't know whether I need to go lower in the IBUs since I am not using any caramel malt and I am using a very attenuating yeast.

I have only brewed two stouts so far (completely different recipes) and I didn't like much the results, I found them too harsh, probably from using Carafa III. I hope that with Chocolate and a small amount of roasted barley and won't get that feeling.

Thanks!
Ricardo - http://cervejarte.org/blog
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2Gb SDRAM running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

NB Dry Irish Stout

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I just kegged the Northern Brewer Dry Irish Stout (All Grain). You can get the recipe from their web site. I was concerned that it didn't have any black patent. It used a pound of Simpsons Roasted Barley for its flavor. They aced it. It is one great brew. It is defiantly logged in the brew again category.
I used an ounce of East Kent Goldings at 60 and 40 minutes each. Hope this helps.
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

What's your taste?

Post by hansolo »

It really depends on what type of taste you are looking for. I favor Black Patent and roasted Barley but that's what makes homebrewing so fun, the testing of new things. Good luck with your stout!
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I feel that Black Patent is for Porters and Roasted Barley is for Stouts, but that's a little too restrictive.
Either way, the NB Dry Irish Stout recipe is the standard recipe forn that beer style.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP