Filtering during transfer to ferm.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Push Eject »

kabbo wrote:a pump controlled by a Ranco temp controller wich recirculates cold or hot water into a 50ft copper tubing coil inside the fermenter
Sweet! Does it choose "hot or cold" or do you have to manually do that? What did you use? Washing machine valves? I've been thinking of that very thing for a while now and love the concept.

Push E.
500mhz G3 iBook 384mg 10.3.9
2x1ghz G4 1g 10.4.10
2x2ghz G5 2g 10.4.10
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kabbo »

Push Eject:

It is a homemade system.
I'll post pictures when all set up, but here's how it works.

The pump is plugged into a Ranco digital temp controller which turns the pump on or off. You can put it on
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Push Eject »

That is great! So you basically have two temp controlled systems, right? One, the Coleman, maintaining your water temp and second, the Ranco, maintaining your ferm temps.

Sweet!

Push E.
500mhz G3 iBook 384mg 10.3.9
2x1ghz G4 1g 10.4.10
2x2ghz G5 2g 10.4.10
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kabbo »

The coleman thing has an integrated thermometer. It's a stand-alone portable fridge that works with thermoelectricity (not like conventionnal fridges), you choose heat or cool mode, and depending on the model, you can set the thermostat.

I'm a bit worried about letting the copper coil in the fermenter with the beer...

I'm looking for ss coil, but they seem expensive!

What do you think of having copper in contact with beer all fermentation long?
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Gelatin Procedure Clarification

Post by manplant »

Just to clarify on the gelatin. Im making a MexiKolsch with two week turn around. Im currently in the secondary at 64F. At kegging, I would like to:

1-Dissolve 1/4 to 1 tsp of Knox gelatin in 1/2 cup of boiled water cooled to 100
2-Pour into the bottom of the corny keg
3-Rack the beer into the corny keg resulting in homogenization
4-Chill and force carbonate for 4 days.
5-Discard the first pint with the fines.

Is this safe to remove the cloudiness associated with the Wyeast 2565 Kolsch?
Manplant
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Hey Manplant, I think you have things in the wrong sequence. I've used gelatin a few times and this is the way I do it and have gotten good results:

1. rack the beer to the conditioning vessel (ie, carboy or keg)
2. Chill beer to at least 40
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Gelatin for Clarity

Post by manplant »

The Wyeast Kolsch 2565 has a low flocculation rate so its beers tend to be cloudy from yeast. I like your idea on the addition of the gelatin at the end of the rack on top of the beer. That is congruent with the link posted in the prev. threads. The main reason im looking to gelatin is this beer is a quick turn around for new years. 14 days mash to glass.
Manplant