OG off the scale

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

OG off the scale

Postby brewmeisterintng » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:56 pm

I bought an all grain kit from Northern Brewer (Dry Irish Stout). The OG on the recipe was given as 42. I also ran the recipe through Beer Tools which yielded 44. After brewing today I got 57 with hydrometer and temperature correction. I did double mill as I thought that the grain didn't appear to crack properly first time around. I added a couple hands full of rice hulls as I usually do. I am not overly upset at such a high reading... just puzzled. :roll:
User avatar
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:47 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN

Re: OG off the scale

Postby jeff » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:36 pm

brewmeisterintng wrote:I bought an all grain kit from Northern Brewer (Dry Irish Stout). The OG on the recipe was given as 42. I also ran the recipe through Beer Tools which yielded 44. After brewing today I got 57 with hydrometer and temperature correction. I did double mill as I thought that the grain didn't appear to crack properly first time around. I added a couple hands full of rice hulls as I usually do. I am not overly upset at such a high reading... just puzzled. :roll:


I would first verify that the final volume measures the same as that specified in the recipe. It could be that the wort is not diluted enough if the final runoff volume falls short of the recipe. A gallon short of 5.5 gallons could turn a 1.044 OG to 1.054 OG.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
User avatar
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2000 8:16 pm
Location: Hollywood, SC

double milling

Postby slothrob » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:34 am

When I bought my mill, I got around 73% efficiency without adjusting the factory setting. I tried two batches back-to-back with double milling and got ~92% efficiency!

It looks like you might have experienced the same thing. I believe NB's OGs are based on 70% efficiency. You might have bumped into the 90% range with double milling. 95% would have given you that 1.057.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
User avatar
slothrob
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Greater Boston

I will check

Postby brewmeisterintng » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:21 am

Before I brew again I will revalidate my hydrometer and ensure that the mark on the side of the 6.5 gallon carboy is a true 5 gallon mark. Who knows, it might be a combinaton of all three (milling, hydrometer, volume). When I double mill I always add a couple hands full of rice hulls to ensure I don't end up with a stuck mash. No problems yesterday...
:D
User avatar
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:47 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN


Return to Brewing Problems, Emergencies, Help!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron