Hops availability and price

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops availability and price

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Anyone know who still has hops by the pound as a reasonable price. Most everyone I checked are out of pound packs and ounce packs are sky rocketing.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hops availability and price

Post by billvelek »

brewmeisterintng wrote:Anyone know who still has hops by the pound as a reasonable price. Most everyone I checked are out of pound packs and ounce packs are sky rocketing.
I was lucky enough to get a bulk order into my LHBS about a month ago when he said he thought he would be able to get some, but wasn't sure because of reports he was getting. I ordered a pound each of Galena and Chinook; the Galena was unavailable except in ounces (2.50/oz.), but about two weeks ago I did receive the Chinook at a BARGAIN price of $16.00 for a one pound package -- "Crosby and Baker" brand. He said he was lucky and got it at that price; he could have still charged me the $24.00/pound that he had quoted and that I had expected to pay. Very nice and honest guy. Anyway, even aside from that bargain, I wish now that I had ordered more, but as it was, I had ordered 2 pounds at his quoted price of $24.00/pound, so I was already looking at spending $48.00 plus tax for hops, plus I had also put in a $160.00 order for grain, plus other stuff I was buying. Can't spend my wife's Christmas money stocking up on hops. :mrgreen:

We've had a pretty good jump in membership in my Grow-Hops group due to the impending shortage; if the demand for rhizomes goes up, then I expect the price might, too, expecially in view of higher hop prices which make the rhizomes seem like such a bargain. This is a good time to post a reminder that anyone who is thinking of growing hops in the spring should start to make preparations now -- choose a site, begin preparing the bed, plan and construct the support system (trellis, arbor, or whatever) and maybe install a drip-irrigation system, etc. If folks wait too much longer, the ground might freeze, and delaying preps until the spring will just delay planting. If anyone is interested in LOTS of info re growing hops, they should join my group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Growing Hops

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I have been growing them for a few years now. It was just a hobby that I started. Hops were always so cheap that I never planned on completly relying on what I grow. It seems things are a changing. So, I will be expanding my growing efforts next year. I was hit, like most people, by the lack of rain this year here in TN. I will be building a hop bed soon.
HubBrew

Hops

Post by HubBrew »

I've been looking into this as well. You can still buy some hops by the pound from www.hopsdirect.com. I have been thinking about planting some rhizomes next spring here in Iowa. My only concern is the high winds we get here. I have a small vineyard already that does well here, so I'm thinking they will do fine as well. I have a link somewhere for some really good growing information. If I can find it I'll post it for anyone interested.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hops

Post by billvelek »

HubBrew wrote:snip ... I have a link somewhere for some really good growing information. If I can find it I'll post it for anyone interested.
Please do so; I'm always on the look out for good info about growing hops, because I add links to our website. If you haven't visited us yet, you really ought to if you are serious about growing hops -- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops -- now with 588 members.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
The BJB
Light Lager
Light Lager

cheap online hop seller

Post by The BJB »

I know nothing about this company, just found it one day when doing a search for discount hops by the pound. Worth checking it out.

http://shop.atonofhops.com/