Spent Grains

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Spent Grains

Post by andytv »

I have a pile of spent grains as high as an elephant's @&% in the weeds behind my house. Has anyone found any creative uses for this stuff??? I know from experience that when left to sit in a pile, they really start to smell, so making piles for kids to play in should not be listed as a "creative use". Maybe something along the lines of mulch or something???

Andy
brewhaha
Light Lager
Light Lager

bread-->

Post by brewhaha »

I once saw a recipe for spent grain bread, not sure where it is, but if I find it I will post.. good luck
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

chicken feed

Post by stumpwater »

Apparently the stuff makes good chicken feed. The grain still contains much of the essentials for nourishment. I can't remember where I read the breakdown (shrug), but if there are chickens around then I say let them have it. Personally, I know of no chickens in my neighbourhood (hehe) so I throw it on the compost pile. Perhaps I will begin raising pheasants. It would make for a nice Thanksgiving dinner all compliments of my beer making hobby.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

compost

Post by Fraoch »

spent grains make great fertiliser if mixed into the compost,dig them in though as the flies tend to love them as it is impossible to extract all the goodies etc from your mash. But it really is the best for roses and the such
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cows

Post by hophead »

If you have any neighbors or know of any farmers that have dairy or beef cattle...they LOVE em. They do have to be rather fresh though.:)
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

AAAH Hophead my old friend

Post by Fraoch »

Good to see you back on line, Email me, me old mate, tiernan@froggy.com.au