when to rack to secondary

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

kensig

when to rack to secondary

Post by kensig »

started first brew on monday now thursday, monday evening started bubbling tues and wed bubbled hard this morning almost nothing about 8pm still no action went ahead and racked to secondary og 47 now its 17
shortly after i racked it fermenting strong again did i do this right or was i premature. tasted the sample i pulled for test was flat and green but flavor was kindof what i expected thanks :lol:
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

That's pretty early. My rule for going to secondary, when I do it, is to wait until fermentation is done plus at least 2 days. In practice, I usually let it sit for close to a week after the activity appears to stop. This gives the yeast time to clean up after itself. The best measure of completion of fermentation is a steady gravity reading for 3 days. Racking early can result in incomplete fermentation and off-flavors.

All that said, you should be okay, just let it finish up, then leave it alone for a week or two.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

What are you brewing?

I usually just wait a week, but I did rack to secondary after 5 days with a Cream Ale. That turned out great.
kensig

Post by kensig »

thanks for the help guys. i drank the first of my homebrew this weekend and shared with a friend tasted great buddy said so also. now gotta decide what to brew next. again thanks :lol: