Trouble installing

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
glugglug

Trouble installing

Post by glugglug »

I am trying for the second time to get Beer Tools Pro running on a second/older computer. I have never sucessfully got this running on this computer. When I try to install for the first time with the latest update, 1.0.28, i get the following error:

Runtime Error 4: Failed Assertion
plugin.cpp:7086
Failure Condition: pluginEntryTable.GetEntry(
entrypointName,out )
Failure Message: can't find plugin method
SSLSocket.Events.Connected

So, I figure maybe I need to install original purchased program. Opens up, and asks for name, etc, but License Key is expired. This is 1.0.18. There is no button for new key request, and I do not see where there is a link to request a new key. Checked other computer, where program runs flawlessly, and my key is the same.

Please help. Jeff, this is the second time I have worked on this issue. First time, I ran out of time, and never figured it out. This older computer is a lot closer to where I brew, and I would love to have it in use. It's a Mac on OSX.2.6. Cannot update the OS further.

Paul
glugglug

Post by glugglug »

can't anyone help me with this?
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I'm pretty sure that the later versions of BTP require OS 10.3 or higher. To get it to run on 10.2, you'll have to install an older version, I think.

Hopefully Jeff or Lathe will see this and let you know for sure.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
shmevinator

same thing

Post by shmevinator »

I hope this isn't a dead thread, but I just purchased BTP, installed it and got that exact same message when I tried to open the program.

I'm running OS 10.3 on a powermac w/a G3 card. I do only have 240 MB of RAM, though. Is that what is causing this? Please help!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Trouble installing

Post by jeff »

glugglug wrote:Please help. Jeff, this is the second time I have worked on this issue. First time, I ran out of time, and never figured it out. This older computer is a lot closer to where I brew, and I would love to have it in use. It's a Mac on OSX.2.6. Cannot update the OS further.
Have you been able to run an earlier version on this computer?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
shmevinator

Post by shmevinator »

No this is my first exposure to BTP.

Is it possible to get an earlier version to test it?

Kevin
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

shmevinator wrote:No this is my first exposure to BTP.

Kevin
Let's give glugglug a little more time to respond before we test earlier versions. Thanks.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

shmevinator wrote:No this is my first exposure to BTP.

Kevin
In the past, some people have had success using a native PPC version of BTP. The current download is Universal Binary, but perhaps this is what is causing the problem with your OS. Let me know if you want me to switch your download to the legacy PPC build. Thanks.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
shmevinator

Post by shmevinator »

jeff wrote:
In the past, some people have had success using a native PPC version of BTP. The current download is Universal Binary, but perhaps this is what is causing the problem with your OS. Let me know if you want me to switch your download to the legacy PPC build. Thanks.
Thanks for your quick response! Two questions:

1) Native PPC, does that mean that it will run in OS 9?
2) I may get a computer in the next few months that is intended to run OSX. Would I be able to switch back to the current version of BTP at that point?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

shmevinator wrote:1) Native PPC, does that mean that it will run in OS 9?
No. OS X only.
shmevinator wrote:2) I may get a computer in the next few months that is intended to run OSX. Would I be able to switch back to the current version of BTP at that point?
Yes. Contact me when you are ready to switch.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
shmevinator

Post by shmevinator »

So yes, please switch my download to the native PPC version. Thanks for your help! Let me know if you need further info to do this.
shmevinator

Post by shmevinator »

Hi Jeff-

Thanks for switching my download- Unfortunately, it didn't work :(

I got the same error.

Are there any other options?

Feel free to email me if that's a better forum to discuss this.

Thanks!
Kevin
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

shmevinator wrote:I got the same error.

Are there any other options?
The only options are: switch to a newer mac, or return the software. It isn't cost effective for us to try to support systems that are pushing a decade in age. Let me know if you want hold out for the new mac or return the software now. Thanks.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
shmevinator

Post by shmevinator »

jeff wrote:
The only options are: switch to a newer mac, or return the software. It isn't cost effective for us to try to support systems that are pushing a decade in age. Let me know if you want hold out for the new mac or return the software now. Thanks.
That makes sense. I think I will hold on to the software. So just one last thing then: I'm a little confused about the difference between the PPC and current mac version of BTP. In the next few months I'll be getting a used ibook (a few years old) running OS10.3.9. Could you switch my download to whichever version will work best with that system?

And once again, I can't thank you enough for your help with this!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

shmevinator wrote:I'm a little confused about the difference between the PPC and current mac version of BTP. In the next few months I'll be getting a used ibook (a few years old) running OS10.3.9. Could you switch my download to whichever version will work best with that system?
The current build of BTP is compiled as a Universal Binary. This means that it contains all of the instructions required for running on both PPC and Intel Macintosh systems. If the iBook you are getting is PowerPC architecture (i.e: G4, G5, etc.), then you can continue with the legacy version of BTP. If the new iBook is an Intel Mac, then you will need to download the Universal Binary version.

When you get the new Mac, it is probably best to try the Universal Binary because it is supposed to run fine on both architectures provided the OS X system software is recent. The only disadvantage to using the Universal Binary is that the download file is double the size. If you want to switch back to the latest release, please let me know.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff