Difficulty getting correct Target Temp on Mash In Schedule

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
JMD71

Difficulty getting correct Target Temp on Mash In Schedule

Post by JMD71 »

Hi, I am fairly new to useing BeerTools Pro & I've been trying to get my Target Temp on the Mash In schedule to calculate properly & have been unable to do so. I usually have a Strike Temp of 170 degrees which gives me a Mash Temp of approx. 150 degrees, but I cannot get this to work in the mash Schedules. Every time I enter 150 as my Target Temp, the Strike Temp automatically changes to approx. 160-161ish. Then if I try to change the Strike Temp to the correct 170, it changes the Target Temp.

What am I doing wrong here? I've played around with it for hours & have been unabel to figure out what I am doing wrong...

Thanks,

Jonathan
slothrob

tun

Post by slothrob »

Have you calibrated your mash tun?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
JMD71

Tun

Post by JMD71 »

I haven't done an actual test of how many degrees are lost over the 5-65 minutes, but I did try playing with a bunch of different numbers for the degrees lost after 5 & 65 minutes. None of the approx. values I entered came close to the the Target/Strike Temp I was trying to achieve. It was actually moving me closer to 160 degrees for a Strike temp whereas I need to go the opposite way towards 170.
slothrob

Tun

Post by slothrob »

In order for the program to know that you do not have a direct fired mash tun, you need to select your mash tun as your Mash Vessel, a kettle as your Heating Vessel, and some Heat Source in the Mash In window in the Schedule section. If you don't do this, the program will undershoot your Strike Temperature. Have you done this?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP