last nights batch >--

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

brewhaha
Light Lager
Light Lager

last nights batch >--

Post by brewhaha »

well after months of brewing without one, I bought a turkey fryer. At 170,000 BTU's I cant belive I ever brewed any other way, man that thing is sweet. gathered the wort and moved the pot to the burner, within about 15 minutes the boil was blasting off. Almost had a boilover. I started with 6 gallons and ended up with 3 1/2 gallons of beer. perhaps I kept the heat too high the whole time, I did turn it down when the boil over almost occurred, but wanted to keep it at a strong boil, can someone tell me what a good "boil temp" is ? I am alomst sure that it was just too hot to keep from evaporating that much of the boil.. hey thanks for any help.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

How Long?

Post by BillyBock »

Wow! How long did you cook the wort? When I did 5 gal batches w/ a 170K burner, my total cooking time was about 75 minutes--15 min to get to the boil and past the hot break, and then 60 min for the hop schedule. I would normally have the regulator backed off to 1/8 - 1/4 turn, rather than "full bore", to keep a nice, steady, rolling boil which gave me about a 10%/hr evaporation rate. If you're cooking for the same amount of time, it sounds like you kept a pretty voilent boil. Try less power and let us know what happens.

v/r
Bill
brewhaha
Light Lager
Light Lager

90 minutes

Post by brewhaha »

it was a 90 minute boil, 6 gals to start and end with 5 gals, allthough this was not the case, I will crank the heat down and keep and eye out, is there a =temp to go by ? Also when this happens is adding more water safe, a buddy of mine says I should have added more water to bring it back up to five gallons , I DID NOT do this because I belived this would dilute the results, can anyone shed more light on that as well ? Would this be a good way to go ? Thanks to all
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Boiling temperature

Post by jeff »

At sea level, water boils at 212
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I told you so

Post by Freon12 »

Andy got everybody all fired up about blasting the wort with a flame thrower, you pyros! (just kidding Andy).
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

About Turkey Fryers...

Post by l48shark »

You probably already know this, but for anyone who might not and is now thinking of getting a turkey fryer, all of the ones I have seen come with an aluminum pot. You want to avoid brewing with the aluminum pot or you will have off-flavors. Also, if you plan on boiling in a large, 15-gallon steel keg, I would suggest that you weld some extra support on the fryer base (if necessary) in order to avoid an accident.

Cheers,
Ford
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Aluminum pots

Post by jeff »

The aluminum pots used to be my big disappointment with turkey fryer set ups. But recently I came across two fryers, one at Sam