Goal fermentation temp for Belgian Dark Ale

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

pcutti19
Light Lager
Light Lager

Goal fermentation temp for Belgian Dark Ale

Post by pcutti19 »

I am brewing 10 gallons this weekend. I will split into to 6.5 gallon carboys to allow for a little different tinkering (dry hopping, spicing, etc) in the primary and secondary. My question is what temp for this type of beer should i shoot for?

Thanks for your time
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Goal fermentation temp ...

Post by wottaguy »

HI,

It depends on what yeast you are planning to use...

but pitching cool and then letting up slowly warm up is the general prcatice,not to exceed 73 degF.

For a dark Strong, I would plan to pitch at 60 degF and let it slowly warm up to a top off of 69 degF. this would take approx 10 days to accomplish,then I would hold the beer for another week or (3) so to finish out. After that, I would prime and bottle it then age it for at least 6 months ( pref 12 or longer) to let the magical blending of the flavours happen!

I am in the process of plannig my next Belgium Dark and will be bottling it with corks and cages....it will take about a year before I can try it!

you must be a very patient brewer to appreciate all the waiting that goes into making a quality Belgium Dark Ale!

Ron S (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
pcutti19
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by pcutti19 »

thanks for your time Ron. I am using White Labs 1762 Belgiam Abbey II liquid yeast. I am actually brewing this as two 5 gallon batches. My thought is to spice one slightly differently during fermentation and maybe keg 5 gallon and bottling the other. But I am thinking that bottling all 10 gallons might make the most sense from an ageing persective?

Thoughts?