Useing Grains in Brewing

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

GSBrewing

Useing Grains in Brewing

Post by GSBrewing »

I have only brewed with malt extract. I have been looking at some new recipes and some of them call for grains. What are you supposed to do with them and when do you put them into the boil.

Any help would be great.
Erik

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

-Ernest Hemmingway-
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The best way to step up to using grains

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Welcome to Beer tools. The best way to step up to using grains is to start easy. You can start by using 1/2 lb. crushed Crystal and 1/2 lb. crushed cara-pils. Put the crushed grains in a muslin sack, tie it off, and soak it in one gallon 155F water for 30 minutes. Then using a collander, drain the grains in to your brew pot, and rinse the sack with 2 quarts of 150F water and put this in to your pot, this will add flavor , color and complexity to your batch. Then start your brew session. Note on Crstal malts, the higher the number (ranges from 10 degress Lovibond to 120 degrees Lovibond) the darker the color addition. So start with 40 Deg. or 60 deg. until you understand the affects OK?

Paul..
"I drink therefore I am"
GSBrewing

Awesome

Post by GSBrewing »

Paul, thank you for the help. I think that will be of some big assistance.
Erik

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

-Ernest Hemmingway-