American wheat beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

American wheat beer

Post by Freon12 »

I am almost ready to start my first AWB. I am leaning toward low HBU in the 13 range with 2.8HBU boiling hops, 1.1HBU 15mins and 1.1HBU 1 min. I took a hint from my Hefewiezen when beers approach 50%wheat malt, I really back off the hops for Hefe. Maybe the differeces area yeast and hop rate? Any suggestions on how bitter this beer would be best at?
abbiesdad
Light Lager
Light Lager

American Wheat

Post by abbiesdad »

Funny you should ask, Freon. This afternoon I brewed up an American Wheat and added the zest and juice of 3 lemons. I used Tettnanger hops (4.9% AA). It comes out to ~13 IBU. I decided to keep it in the low-teens so as not to overshadow the lemon flavor.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lemon adding

Post by Freon12 »

Are you adding lemon in the secondary? And do you also think that I am correct for low IBU and boiling hops only for a good outcome with lemons (or in my case Razzberry concentrate)(get it Razzzberry, funny color for a beer).
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yes, Boiling Hops Only

Post by l48shark »

My Weizen calls for only 3/4 oz. of Saaz for the duraton of the 60 minute boil.
abbiesdad
Light Lager
Light Lager

Adding lemon

Post by abbiesdad »

Freon,

Sorry about the delay in responding------I have been out of town.

I added the zest and juice to the boil; the zest with 10 minutes left and the juice with 1 minute left. I added the last 3/4 oz of Tettnanger hops in the last minute along with the juice.

OG was 1.045, into secondary after 5 days in primary with SG=1.012. Had a sharp lemon taste that I hope will mellow some with age.

Plan on bottling tomorrow sometime.

Ralph