Using Kool-Aid

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Using Kool-Aid

Post by wwarrior152 »

I am currently fermenting a Belgium Wit/ wheat ( don't ask they are two different yeasts split 'tween 10 gal of base).
I plan on taking the wheat batch and adding two packs of unsweetened Kool-aid (orange) to the secondary to give it a little more orange zip.
Wish me luck. Or tell me you already tried it.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Preservatives?

Post by billvelek »

Never tried it, and I don't have any Kool-Aid on hand to check the ingredients. Aside from how it might affect flavor (I personally don't like the flavor of Kool-Aid, but it might be good in beer), I'd be sure there is nothing like preservatives that could kill your yeast -- assuming that you bottle your beer and need the yeast for the carbonation. If kegging, I don't guess it will matter since your primary is finished. Be sure to let us know how it works.

Cheers.
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Honestly, this sounds like a really bad idea. In my opinion, the kool-aid flavors don't taste much like what they claim to be, plus as mentioned above, there are other things like preservatives that you probably don't want in your beer. Why not add orange zest or bitter orange peel instead?

Todd
marcom1234

Post by marcom1234 »

well i want to know how it turned out!!!!
wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sorry for the delay on reply

Post by wwarrior152 »

Well It worked really well! the orange flavor was good. next time I would go with a single pack of koolaid. my friend tried the last of the keg and said it was some of the best "lawn mower beer" he has had in a while.
Though I wouldn't try to compete with it, I sure didn't dump it out without filtering it through my kidneys first. It is deffinetly a do again!
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Post by billvelek »

I'm glad it worked out for you. As I said, I don't like Kool-Aid as it is, but some sort of fruit flavoring like they use for snow balls or soda might be good.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
wwarrior152
Light Lager
Light Lager

Kool-Aid

Post by wwarrior152 »

You have to use the unsweetened kind just plain in the carboy it adds a good orange flavor.

Life is too short to drink ordinary beer
Eric
krussader
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by krussader »

I used four 12oz juice concrentrates in my last batch in order to create a Peach Honey Lager. The flavour had just a touch of peach so if you are looking for a stronger flavour I would say go for about six of them.