Error messages- can't run beertools

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
coaster

Error messages- can't run beertools

Post by coaster »

I have been getting error messages when I try to run beertools pro. The error signature is as follows: AppName: beertools pro.exe AppVer: 1.0.28.138 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 01f01040
I have tried unistalling & reinstalling, but no luck. I even set up my computer to boot off its secondary hard drive, but when I installed on that drive it wanted a new license key. When I tried to use the new key. It would only let me repurchase. I have been having problems since July, when I had a hard drive crash. I redownloaded the program and a new license key in August. It worked once. I went to brew yesterday, and am getting an error message. I would repurchase, but doubt the program will run. Has anyone any suggestions. The license key thing has been major league annoying. Other programs don't have continual expiration of the license. Is anyone else getting errors on trying to run beertools, and how might this problem be solved?
Thanks,
Coaster
Coaster

Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, Windows XP,
1024 x 768 Display
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I think I had the same problem.

Post by billvelek »

Your problem sounded familiar -- especially reference to "AppVer: 1.0.28.138 ModName: unknown". I don't know for sure how the problem arose for me, but with you now encountering it, it might be a very rarely occurring hidden bug of some sort. Please look at this thread for some info, including some screen-shots that I made: http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

I hope this helps and you can work it out.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
coaster

Can't load btp

Post by coaster »

Bill,
My screens match yours, so I think it's the same problem. The only difference is that I did not get the missing file message on the uninstall. I uninstalled with the btp built-in uninstaller but when I reinstall I still have the same problem. I tried editing the registry, but only found one entry related to btp, and deleting it didn't solve the problem. I suspect more and more people are going to experience this bug.
Thanks for your input,
Coaster
Coaster

1024 x 768 Display
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

This could be a bug ...

Post by billvelek »

Coaster, just out of curiosity, did you do anything that might have caused you to lose a file? As explained in my previous thread and screen shots, I did some rather extensive computer maintenance -- even though I considered it all routine stuff -- and wondered if just by coincidence it had a hiccup when doing something with a BTP file. Now that you've had virtually an identical problem, that would seem like quite a coincidence, and so it seems to me that this might be a very obscure, rarely encountered, bug.

By the way, since getting BTP to work again, I haven't had occasion to try to uninstall it. Does the BTP uninstall .exe program seem to work okay. When I was dealing with my problem, I wasn't even aware that BTP had a specific uninstall because it does not appear on my programs list. This is something that I have suggested to Jeff/Lathe -- that they add it to the program directory -- and hopefully it will eventually happen with the new release. I don't particularly like windows uninstall, and always prefer to use one that has been created specifically for a program. I guess I just _assume_ that it will be better. I usually just check the program list and don't usually think to do a directory check. By using Windows uninstall, I might have created part of my problem with the missing .dat file.

I wish there were something I could suggest to you. It took me MANY hours of playing around with my computer before I was finally able to recover BTP, and it was probably more luck than anything. Good luck.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Error messages- can't run beertools

Post by jeff »

coaster wrote:When I tried to use the new key. It would only let me repurchase.
The new key should work fine if you enter your name and email exactly as they appear in the license key email. The license key is linked to these pieces of information so they must be entered accurately. Things to check include middle initial, same email address, shortened forms of names (ie: dave or david). If BTP still won't accept the key, please let us know.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
coaster

BTP won't load

Post by coaster »

Bill, There have been no error messages that a file is missing. My Norton anti virus scans and updates but thats about it. I may have added another program or two.
Jeff, What entries in the registry would I have to delete to do a complete uninstall. Maybe then a reinstall might work.
Coaster

1024 x 768 Display
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BTP won't load

Post by jeff »

coaster wrote:Jeff, What entries in the registry would I have to delete to do a complete uninstall. Maybe then a reinstall might work.
The only entry I know of is 'btp_auto_file' for assigning BeerTools Pro as the app to open .btp files. BeerTools Pro makes very little use of the registry.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BTP won't load

Post by billvelek »

coaster wrote:Bill, There have been no error messages that a file is missing. ... snip
Well, besides 'missing', I meant to use the word loosely, as in 'corrupted' a file or some file location data such as while doing a defrag. Anyway, the only reason I asked is that there is a pretty good chance that one or the other has occurred with an essential BTP file of some sort. I base that on the fact the BTP worked fine for me, I did some general file maintenance, and then it was the only one of numerous programs that would no longer work. Jeff thought I might have a windows file missing, but that should not have been the case because I managed to get BTP working again merely be reinstalling it (eventually) without ever retrieving or reinstalling any Windows files. So the problem is with BTP. Although you and I had the same error messages, that doens't necessarily mean that we had the same files corrupt (which would be a really weird coincidence); rather, it might just be a common way for BTP to react to not finding some needed info -- maybe one thing in my case and another thing in yours. That's why I asked if you had done any sort of file maintence (defrag?).

If it's not a missing or corrupt BTP file, then its a bug of some sort, but I have no earthly idea what triggered it. And I would normally expect a bug to just crash a program but NOT make it impossible to load again unless the bug is causing a file to become corrupted by writing (during a save when exiting???) some strange character or whatever to a file that is needed on restart. I'm not a programmer, so those are just some wild thoughts, but I'm convinced that with the two of us unexplicably having the identical problem, that it's something within BTP -- or else it is Microsoft and it's dadgummed automatic updates. But still -- only BTP and no other program??? Nahhh.

Cheers.

Bill Velek

I don't know if there is a particular file that is prone to corruption or