Pellet hop correction editor question...

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Pellet hop correction editor question...

Post by TCBrewguy »

I've been meaning to ask this for a while -- for the pellet hop correction curve, what do the numbers on the y-axis mean? If I draw a straight line on the curve editor at 1.1 on the y-axis, does this mean that I am calculating my hop utilization to be 1.1 times greater than that of leaf hops?

edit: Never mind...I think I just figured it out. :wink:
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Pellet hop correction editor question...

Post by billvelek »

TCBrewguy wrote:snip ... for the pellet hop correction curve, what do the numbers on the y-axis mean? If I draw a straight line on the curve editor at 1.1 on the y-axis, does this mean that I am calculating my hop utilization to be 1.1 times greater than that of leaf hops? ... snip ... I think I just figured it out. :wink:
Although I have never used the hop utilization feature, that would be my guess. If it's anything different than that, please post.

Also, here is something I've thought of: if I have a recipe, whether one of my previous brews or an import, and it specifies a _significantly_ different AA% and perhaps even a different form than what I have in inventory, is there anyway to make a conversion to compensate? Is this something that can/should be incorporated as a tool in BTP?

For example, let's say a recipe calls for 1 oz. of Cascade whole hops at 5.5%, and all I have is Cascade pellets at 6.9%, how much should I add. I don't know if it's a simple matter of ratios or not. Would it be 1oz./1.1 X 5.5/6.9 = .72 ounces or approximately 3/4 ounce?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

billvelek wrote:For example, let's say a recipe calls for 1 oz. of Cascade whole hops at 5.5%, and all I have is Cascade pellets at 6.9%, how much should I add. I don't know if it's a simple matter of ratios or not. Would it be 1oz./1.1 X 5.5/6.9 = .72 ounces or approximately 3/4 ounce?
Short answer -- for bittering hops, that works fine. Once you get into the flavor and aroma boil times, though, it's better not to adjust the amount down. What I always do (and always recommend) is to decide the flavor and aroma profile you want, and adjust your bittering hops up or down from there. That was worked fantastically for me!
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

just-cj wrote:What I always do (and always recommend) is to decide the flavor and aroma profile you want, and adjust your bittering hops up or down from there. That was worked fantastically for me!
OF course in CJ's case, the bittering hops are apt to be added 20 minutes before the end of the boil, Hopbursting king that he is.

Bill, this may be obvious, but I thought I'd mention how I use BTP when dealing with %AA differences in hops:
I enter the recipe, as described by the author with their %AA and Pellet/Whole hops, and note the IBU's. I then correct the %AA and Pellet/Whole to my current hop inventory, allowing BTP to change the IBU's up or down. Finally, I adjust the Bittering Hop addition to get back to the Author's original IBU's that I noted earlier.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for. That should accomplish exactly what your formula described, since your formula is correct as far as bittering is concerned.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks cj and slothrob

Post by billvelek »

Thanks cj and slothrob. Yes, that's a logical approach slothrob; if I would have given the matter a little thought, it probably would have occurred to me, too.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768