Mash efficiency Question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash efficiency Question

Post by Freon12 »

My mash Eff. % is slowly going down. I started at 70% and now I am concerned at 63%. Same equipment, same brewhouse. I have changed the water filter system for lager beers. any Idea's ?
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

OUCH!!!

Post by Fraoch »

I hate loss of extract and poor mash efficiency, i fully sympathise, You know all this already, but, grain crush, water temp & PH, duration of mash - around 90mins?? and very careful and slow sparging. If you require 5 gals try to sparge to 6 and boil back, what can i say Freon?? All this is information you already know. Poor quality malt?? or just to add, i recently changed my false botom in my tun to a finer grade with desastrous results, i lost 20% efficiency. Have you recently tried to do larger size brews with the same size mash tun? If it is at full capacity it doesnt necessarily follow that the efficiency rate will transfer successfully, it is possible to over maximise, my tun works at 90% eff if i restrict myself to making 10 and not 11 gal batches the extra 1 gal actually reduces my mash eff to under 80%. Whatever the cause, I hope it is soon rectified
hophead
Light Lager
Light Lager

off subject

Post by hophead »

Gav, you complain when your efficiency drops below 99%.....jeez. My 'puter crashed and I lost your e-mail addy......drop me a line. Say "hey" to the little guy and mama.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not False bottom

Post by Freon12 »

I know that the water we have is the first culprit and 82% is the best anyone around here ever achieved. But why without changing batch size or equipment (and I have a good PH meter) would I get small decreases over 5 batches to the new current low? I don't get it. I use a 5 gal. rubbermaid with Phils sparge arm and mashs about 60mins, but the iodine test is negative.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

maybe, just maybe

Post by Fraoch »

Ok , a real long shot here, but your water is your main problem and your sparge technique and equipment have remained the same ( im not sure how a Phils wotsit works), maybe your water is changing in its permanent/temporary hardness ratio. I'm no expert here and would be the first to put my hand up and say that water specifications confuse me. But is your water supply from a run off ie from a well or resevoir?? maybe river fed??? has it been raining a lot lately or even particularly dry?? if nothing else has changed and the malts are as they should be then i would be looking at what you already know to be a problem. Maybe some one else could shed some more light on what i find a difficult part of brewing ingredients. Also. are you doing a different style of beer not suited to the water supply?
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

hmmm.....

Post by stumpwater »

If your local water supply is anything like mine, you could be getting water from different sources. Our municipality draws from 7 different wells, each with its own particular water. One well is extremely alkaline compared to the others. Generally we get consistent water but when the reservoirs are low, there can be a mighty change in the ph as the municipality begins drawing from that well. Possibly try an acidity test prior to brewing and pick up some chemicals to balance your problem. Hope this helps. (for further advice on balancing water ph, try howtobrew.com)
Good Luck!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Good call

Post by Freon12 »

I checked with the water company and since it's been raining for an entire month, they have adjusted the chemicals due to flood waters and it's unusual makeup. As the rivers hit flood stage, my mash was affected more and more.
I knew someone would come up with the answer. Cheers! Kudo's to andy also.