How to track individual brew sessions

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
balikian

How to track individual brew sessions

Post by balikian »

I think I am missing something. I have a recipe for a pale ale. I save this recipe as Pale Ale. It includes a date and ingredients and schedule, OG and TG and all that.

later, I want to make the same recipe. I will use te same ingredients, but perhaps the OG will be different. Perhaps I get lazy and leave it in the 2ndary fermenter longer.

How do you re-use a recipe - same ingredients, same name, same schedule, but then track the individual brew session data separately? Does that make sense?

Right now, I am printing out the recipe and entering dates and gravity stuff by pen. Should I be saving the recipe as a new receipe each time? So PaleAle_20070907, then PaleAle_20070930, etc? Should I be using templates?

Thanks. Sorry, I've read through some of the documentation, but couldn't quite figure out the vocabulary of some things like "session"

scott
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Change the name of the file slightly

Post by billvelek »

Use "Save As" and change the name of the recipe slightly by adding either the date or a sequential number or whatever.

Eg.: "Bill Velek Pale Ale" = original recipe
"Bill Velek Pale Ale -2" or "Bill Velek Pale Ale - 07-09-09", etc.

That's what I do, and sometimes I'll add other info like "Pale Ale w HG Fuggles" -- with homegrown fuggles.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
balikian

Post by balikian »

Thanks. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Have a directory for each original recipe and then have them dated within that directory. Thanks!
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

I created two save directories. One is called BTP Recipes and the other is called BTP Sessions. I save the sessions similar to the way Bill describes. I can then go to the sessions directory and quickly review what and when I've brewed.
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

i do the same

Post by warthog »

same as bill
i open the recipe on brew day, and immediatly 'save as' "[recipe name] as brewed [date]" make my notes, and go. my big problem is that i don't go back and rate the finished beer in my as brewed notes.

my problem, not btp.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200