Advice for new brewers like me.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Advice for new brewers like me.

Post by billd220 »

I used a vacation day last friday to brew. The wife was gone, the kids were gone....just me and my ingredients.

I stepped up to partial mashing earlier this year and have had awful results. Fermentation ended twice at about 1.025

I didnt give up though. This time I brewed a German Wheat beer....and hit my O.G. just as the recipe called for. Tonight after fermenting for 6 days, i racked to the secondary and so far so good...I'm at about 1.010

I plan to ferment for another 2 weeks before bottling. I'm trying to show a lot of patience but cant wait to crack a bottle open.

I want to thank all of you experienced home brewers for taking the time to answer questions for us guys trying to learn. It so disapointing to have your hard work turn into a failure of a beer....but i listened to your advice and took my time. I was very careful with my mash temps and checked it at least every 5-10 minutes and adjusted as needed (I just mashed in a brewpot so temps didnt stay constant) I stirred and stirred and applied heat as needed. I also took my time sparging and made sure to get a good slow rinse of the grains.

so anyway...my advice to other new brewers like me...Take Your Time!!! Its worth it. I don't have a lot of fancy equipment. Just a couple of brewpots. A cooler, thermometer, turkey fryer and a collander from the kitchen. But it works. :mrgreen:

Bill
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Glad to hear it. Take your time and as Papazian said, "Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew".