alternative to candi sugar

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

matchew

alternative to candi sugar

Post by matchew »

Anyone know of a substitute for belgian candi sugar or where I can get it in Australia..
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

I wish i could help

Post by Fraoch »

I have lots of problems sourcing all sorts of products here in Australia. I recently found out that "invert sugar" is the same as Tate and lyle golden syrup but could only source the Bundeburg variety and ended up with golden syrup beer, yuk!
i live in Brisbane, i dont know from which part of Aus you are referring but try the guys at Eastern Suburbs Brewing,Sydney, they may be able to help, failing that theres meant to be a good home brew source in Perth somewhere. Good luck

Gavin
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Maybe this

Post by dartedplus »

I have been known to use Karo corn syrup on occasion. You can use light or dark depending on the style of beer you are making. I know this is kinda cheating, but the flavor has always been good and its totally easy to use.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

expensive beer

Post by Fraoch »

kind of pricey "Karo" as it comes with good old Aussie importation tax all over it, 1kg or 2lb would pretty much double the cost of a 5 gal batch. At $5-6 for 1/2lb it is expensive
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ouch

Post by dartedplus »

I usually only use a cup or 2, just to give a little extra alc and smooth it out a little. I havent used it in quite some time though, that was when I didnt know anything about what I was doing. Now I only know just a little more. There is always something new to learn about the craft.