Superior Lager Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Superior Lager Yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Has anyone tried this yeast? Is it worth a try?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lager Yeast

I originally bought S-23 to brew my pilsner but after reading about it being high in esters, I changed gears. I was considering US-06 and just fermenting at the low end of the ale temp range when I found Superior Lager Yeast on EBay. I Google searched it and could only find what dealers said about it. I was hoping for some brewers comments. Anyway, I have a packet coming in the mail. I will have to make a starter for it... looking like I will be the test rat. :shock:
slothrob

S-23

Post by slothrob »

I've read the same complaints about esters and a tartness, but never used it.

I've read that, of the dry lager yeasts, W34/70 is slightly cleaner, and S-189 is quite good but difficult to find.

With S-23, I've wondered if it might be a good strain for duplicating Harpoon Brewery's Kellerbier. That's a lager that's fermented at celler temperratures, I believe, according to pre-refrigeration German lager making tradition. It's quite tasty, but not Pilsner-like, due to the more complex flavor profile.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Superior is a good dry yeast

Post by fitz »

If you use dry yeast, I many of times do, because of convenience.
I have used superior on many occasions. I have also mixed superior lager with Nottingham ale, just experimenting. They worked together fine, although I am not sure which of them did the most fermenting. I wanted to lager the beer after bottling and I figured the Superior would ensure carbonation better.

Superior is a clean yeast surprisingly-so, out of a dry yeast. You said you were looking on ebay. One thing that you may be weary of though, how long has the person had it, and did they keep it in a refridgerator.
I always store my yeast dry or liquid in the fridge. It lasts longer i believe.

If it is a fresh packet, I don't think you will be disappointed.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Brewing today

Well,
I made a yeast starter two days ago to make sure that the yeast wasn't old or affected by the mail system and because I am making a pislner (lager) today I wanted MORE yeast to do the job.
I will be starting around 7a.m. as I want to get done before it gets too hot outside. It will take some time but I will try to remember to post again when the beer finishes.