unfiltered beer in keg

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

brewhaha
Light Lager
Light Lager

unfiltered beer in keg

Post by brewhaha »

Ii have a 5Gal keg getting ready to load my first batch in, I am going to carbonate naturally, Do I need to filter beer in the keg, or will I just get some sediment on a couple of brews ?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Corny's & natural carbonation...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

When you add your priming media, be it sugars or malt, make sure you reduce the amount used by 1/3 what you'd bottle with, other wise you'll overcarbonate or worse, create a bomb !

As far as the sediment.... as long as you let it settle long enough, the sediment will be ejected in the first couple of pints.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Kegging Practice

Post by andytv »

I've been kegging since last October with good results. Like Mesa said, your sediment will come with the first couple beers, unless you are like me a tend to tap the barrel a little early. I also carbonate naturally, but I also like to use a little CO2 to purge (most) the O2 from the keg (add a little, then let the air out (repeat). I generally then leave about 10lb of pressure in the newly filled keg. Could this be dangerous?? Should I let out all pressure after bleeding the O2 out??.
brewhaha
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks Mesa, one more ?

Post by brewhaha »

Are you saying that is is possiable to blow a keg ? that sounds scary : ( , yes I will be using gyle ot prime, as I do with all my brews, so I will reduce it to 1/3 amount of org.

If I plan on kegging the next batch, I guess I should take that into account when pulling the gyle out, correcting my calcuations to reflect the 1/3 difference. thanks please let me know about the bomb.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

10# = Safe

Post by l48shark »

Andy, I think you will be OK at 10 pounds of pressure... I artificially carbonate at 30! :)

Cheers,
Ford