Mash-tun dead space figured in

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bruerik
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mash-tun dead space figured in

Post by bruerik »

How do i get BTP to configure for my mash tun which has a .75 gallon dead space. I want it to configure it with my mash water for the amount. I mean if I normally mash with 1.32 quarts per pound, how do I get it to add it to the water amount with me doing it manually. When I used beersmith, it would configure it for me.

Thanks
ERik
slothrob

dead space

Post by slothrob »

BTP considers Dead Space in the Mash Tun to be part of the mash, but simply not drainable. As the program exists, I don't believe you can get it to automatically change the values the way you want them to change.

You will need to allow the program to automatically calculate your volume for a 1.32 qt/# thickness, then add ).75 gallons to the result.

If it's any consolation, It's questionable whether there is really much effect on the mash within the range of 1 to 2 qt/#, so not accounting for the dead space shouldn't change your results much. Temperature is a much more significant factor.

Also, as long as there is exchange between the liquid in the dead space and the liquid in the grain. the effect of the dead space on changing the thickness would be lessened considerably. Enzymes and sugars will diffuse between the mash and dead space during the mash.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP