Kettle Volume and Vessel Deadspace - Fly Sparge

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
caskconditioned

Kettle Volume and Vessel Deadspace - Fly Sparge

Post by caskconditioned »

I'm a little confused on the following settings:

1) Dead Space - in particular, when setting up my Kettle. I like to leave about .5 gallon behind (trub/hops). So I set the "Dead Space" setting for my kettle (vessel) to .5. And when I set-up my sparge schedule (type = separation) and set the Kettle as my "Collection Vessel". I'm expecting my main "Kettle Volume" figure to increase to compensate for the loss (dead space) but nothing changes? Do I have to add a manual Volume Adjustment to achieve this? It would be nice if BTP could take that into account.

2) How in the world to I set-up the Sparge? Can BTP automatically set all the settings if it knows the grain bill, mash tun parameters, and kettle parameters? If not, how would I go about setting all this... I'm assuming the "Volume" is the sparge water added, the "RunOff" is what's collected in the kettle and "Residual" is what gets left behind in the Mash Tun. I just don't know where to start... I keep trying to kit my "Kettle Volume" number.

Big thanks for all your help.
slothrob

Volumes and Schedule

Post by slothrob »

1) The Kettle Volume and the Schedule aren't linked. No changes that you make in the schedule or vessels shows up in the Kettle Volume or Final Volume fields.

These fields reflect the volume IN the kettle and won't change with dead space, but regardless of that, the two parts of the program simply aren't linked.

You will need to set up a Volume Adjustment to account for the volume loss. It would be nice if this was set up automatically in the case of a Kettle Dead Space, but it isn't. Your Net Volume will ultimately be displayed in the Volume Adjustment Display.

2) Here is a thread that discusses how to get started setting up a schedule. Follow the link in the second entry in the thread for more complete details on setting up a batch sparge.

Once you have the framework set up and saved as a Default or Template, the program will do the majority of the work to fit it to your grain bill. You, however, will have to tweak the volumes in the steps, primarily in the Transfer step (where your runoff and sparge volume are) for most new recipes to get exactly the numbers you want (watch for changes in the Residual volume, and correct them as needed). If you have a space limiting tun, you may also need to adjust Mash In and Mash Out volumes to prevent exceeding the tun's volume. If batch sparging, you'll, ideally, want to try and make the two runoff volumes roughly equal, as well.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
caskconditioned

Thanks for the info.

I added a Volume Adjustment. I noticed the "Net Volume" number on the screen but why doesn't the "Final Volume" figure change? Sounds silly to have to check your volumes in several different places, would be nice if you could key of one figure.
caskconditioned

Re: Volumes and Schedule

slothrob wrote: 2) Here is a thread that discusses how to get started setting up a schedule. Follow the link in the second entry in the thread for more complete details on setting up a batch sparge.
Just realized that the link is for batch sparge, i'm looking for help setting up a fly sparge. TIA
slothrob

Fly Sparge

Post by slothrob »

A Fly Sparge Schedule is nearly identical to a Batch Sparge Schedule for the Mash In and Saccharification Rest. You can then do the Mash Out, as an Infusiion step, as you would in the Batch Sparge or go right to the Separation, depending on your preferences.

When you get to the Separation step, you'll only need a single running, so hit the "-" button if needed. Then adjust the fields by increasing the Volume (that's how much water you'll sparge with) and setting the Residual to "0" until you hit the Total Runoff you desire.

That's if you run the tun dry at the end of your sparge. If you end with the tun full you need to set that remaining volume as your Residual.

I'm not a fly sparger, but I think that's essentially correct.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
caskconditioned

Re: Fly Sparge

slothrob wrote:A Fly Sparge Schedule is nearly identical to a Batch Sparge Schedule for the Mash In and Saccharification Rest. You can then do the Mash Out, as an Infusiion step, as you would in the Batch Sparge or go right to the Separation, depending on your preferences.

When you get to the Separation step, you'll only need a single running, so hit the "-" button if needed. Then adjust the fields by increasing the Volume (that's how much water you'll sparge with) and setting the Residual to "0" until you hit the Total Runoff you desire.

That's if you run the tun dry at the end of your sparge. If you end with the tun full you need to set that remaining volume as your Residual.

I'm not a fly sparger, but I think that's essentially correct.
Makes sense, thanks.