Confused About Volume Adjustments

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Confused About Volume Adjustments

Post by splashmike »

I figure I lose about .25/gal. due to trub and I have entered this in as a volume adjustment. I'm not sure, however, what I'm supposed to due next so that the program calculates an increase in my water. I have also assumed that I lose about 1.5 gallons during a 60 minute boil, so I start with 6.5 gal. to reach 5 gals. at the end of my boil. I guess I'd need to start with 6.75 to account for my volume adjustment for trub loss but the program does not seem to pick this up and factor it in. Am I using this feature incorrectly? Can anyone explain how this works? Much thanks.
slothrob

Accounting for volume adjustments

Post by slothrob »

In order to get the final volume you want, accounting for volume adjustments like trub and racking loss, you need to open the Volume Adjustments Display.

Next, after enterring whatever adjustments you want, you see that you have only 4.75 gal. Net Volume. Now, increase the Final Volume until your Net Volume is back up to 5 Gallons (you may want to click the "Scale" Lock to keep the recipe the same for your increased volume). The program will then calculate your Kettle Volume based on your Evaporation Loss.

That's how I do it, anyway.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

Slothrob,

That seems to have worked. Thanks for the instructions. I'm still not sure I understand the difference between "scale" and "lock" but I got my final volume after boil to reflect the additional losses I'll have to trub, etc., which is what I wanted.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

When scale is enabled, the ingredients are changed (as you change the volumes) to match IBUs and gravity that you had before you started changing volumes.

When lock is enabled, the ingredients do not change as you manipulate the volume numbers.

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

OK. I understand scaling. However, if I set up the Volume Adjustment as part of my default session page, so it loads up automatically each time I start a session, as I add ingredients, they will not be scaled. It seems that in order to get the scaling effect, I'd have to add the Volume Adjustment to each sessions after adding in the ingredients so that they then scale up. Is this so, or is there another way?
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

I think i understand what you are talking about, but i might be wrong. Are you saying that you want to be able to scale the IBUs and gravity (without volume changing)?.

I have wanted this for a long time, for i have certain volumes that i would like to meet, and the ingredients list does not match for the OG i want... so i need to scale the grains, or hops (especially if the AA% i have does not match the ones in the recipe) to accomodate some style, or whatever.

I read on here previously that ingredient scaling will be a feature in a later release... i would assume version 1.1 or so.
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

You've given me more credit than I deserve as far as understanding how things work. I was just wondering when the appropriate time was to make a Volume Adjustment. I had set up my default session page with the Volume Adjustment so that each time I load it the Volume Adjustment is already there. But then if I start entering ingredients, it doesn't look like I get a scaling up of ingredients. It seems like you have to do the Volume Adjustment after you enter ingredients in order to get them to scale up to match the increased volume following a Volume Adjustment.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

splashmike wrote:It seems like you have to do the Volume Adjustment after you enter ingredients in order to get them to scale up to match the increased volume following a Volume Adjustment.
This is how it works.
Same as if you wanted to scale the recipe up to 10 gal. You're just scaling to 5.25 gallons, instead.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP