Zomething.. but not beer !!!!! The recipe....

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Zomething.. but not beer !!!!! The recipe....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Ok
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Is Amyloglucozidaze available to us??

Post by dartedplus »

Is this amyloglucozidaze stuff readily available, because afterall, who wouldn't like to always obtain 100% conversion? It would save on the cost of grain and there would not be so much guess work. So the question is, where can I get some???
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Blimey!!!!

Post by Fraoch »

For a while there i thought you were giving the recipe for all Australian beers, but i see it is colourless so it cant be. I also feel very strongly that Dow Corning ingredients should stay out of beer manufacture unless they supplied the glass
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yes... but...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes, but only in wholesale quantities and it is expensive. You probably wouldn't want to use it though, it produces an exceptionally thin wort just like using the Beano trick which is a similar idea but not as effective.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dow Corning...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

DC produces a bunch of very useful products to supply the beverage industry from which you have likely benefited from without knowing it. Other examples of companies doing so you may not have been aware of are DuPont, BASF (Divergan ((PVPP)), Loeffler... etc... These chemical and lab based providers have many different product divisions that are much less known than their consumer product divisions such as the one you cited for Corning which are glass and ceramic derived products which other than the household chemical division, is their only consumer line. The rest of their lines are industrial and commercial. Don't get the idea that all of their products are "evil" chemicals either... many are either completly naturally derived or are inert such as filter aides or filter pads. I am always in favor of as little additives or chemical usage as possible, but when you move on to the commercial level of production with it's specific demands, some of these items are unavoidable with some of them even being legally required for the application at hand... ie.. FDA & other regs.

In the case of the Zima recipe though, all of the additives except the preservatives are aimed at affecting flavor, clarity or body which is a different matter. I can only simply state that I am definitly not the target market for such products !!!!!
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

thanks..(*sniff*)...Mesa

Post by stumpwater »

"A colourless, malt beverage that is designed to mimize consumer sensations of fullness and excessive tartness, sweetness and astringency while producing desireable (?) taste characteristics and an attractive appearance."

....I laughed, I cried and then I laughed some more...
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yak!

Post by BillyBock »

Excuse me while I yak. I'm not the target audience either. If people want to drink clear alcohol, why not try vodka or everclear? IMO it's a waste of good grain to go through all the hassle of mashing only to strip all the goodness out. I'll never understand the marketing people.