License Key Expiration has to End!

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
jimdkc

License Key Expiration has to End!

Post by jimdkc »

It's really annoying... every time I download an update!

Seriously... I'm ready to go back to ProMash! And I'm a Mac user! Something has to be REALLY bad if I'd rather run Windows than deal with it!

Jim
Mac Book Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 Ghz, OSX 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 1440 x 900 Display
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: License Key Expiration has to End!

Post by jeff »

jimdkc wrote:It's really annoying... every time I download an update!

Seriously... I'm ready to go back to ProMash! And I'm a Mac user! Something has to be REALLY bad if I'd rather run Windows than deal with it!

Jim
If BTP requests a new license key with every update then the application has been installed incorrectly. What is your installation procedure?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jimdkc

Re: License Key Expiration has to End!

Post by jimdkc »

jeff wrote:If BTP requests a new license key with every update then the application has been installed incorrectly. What is your installation procedure?
I haven't been installing every update that's released... I haven't brewed for a couple of months, so I haven't updated lately. When I get around to installing the updated app, my license has expired. I just upgraded from 1.0.21 (and when I installed that on 3/3/07 I had to request a new license!) to 1.0.27.

The installation is simply drag-and-drop... so I doubt that's the problem! (Besides a large part of my job is writing Macintosh software installers! I know how to install Macintosh software!)

The whole license expiriation thing just seems unnecessary to me. And I'm seriously considering switching apps because of it! (Even though I like BeerTools Pro's interface better than anything else I've tried!)

Jim
Mac Book Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 Ghz, OSX 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, 1440 x 900 Display
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I never have any problems w/ a key

Post by billvelek »

I know it won't make it any less aggravating for you, but perhaps the cause of the problem is that you are not upgrading consecutively, i.e., from the last upgrade that BTP is probably checking for. I know that I haven't had any problems with a key for upgrading in a LONG time -- probably not at all with the last 15 upgrades.

Everyone has their own pet peeves, and I can't appreciate your irritation because I haven't been having that problem, but I'm surprised that this has you on the brink of abandoning the use of BTP -- especially when I believe we are probably getting close to seeing that major upgrade we've all been awaiting. Hang in there. And for what it's worth, in this day and age with so much piracy and illegal copying by so many folks who don't give it a second thought, I don't blame Jeff and Lathe for taking extraordinary steps to protect their investment. I believe that they've worked hard on this, and there is probably a pretty small market. I just hope they're seeing enough profits from this to want to see it through.

Cheers.

Bill Velek -- Grow Hops? Then please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

I get the expired key thing every few months, it seems. I'm not sure what triggers it, but even though it's not that big of a problem to get a new key, it is annoying.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

never had it happen on my mac
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

Only when installed on a new computer

Post by slothrob »

The only time I've needed to re-install the key was when I installed the program on a new computer. This required requesting a new key and then I had to re-enter the new key on the original computer, as well.

Otherwise, every other time, I've just dragged the new folder onto the old folder and it's ready to run.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

I have had beer tools pro since it's release date and never received one single message like that. I have also skipped an update every know and again. I am running a PC with Windows XP, not a mac.
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM
lucas
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by lucas »

I had this happen today when i installed btp on my fresh tiger install and i think it's !@#$. I dont care that I can go online and request a new key, i shouldnt have to. give me a key and let it be mine through all versions. if i abuse it, disable it. none of this time expiry !@#$, thats just pissing off legitimate customers.
spud
Light Lager
Light Lager

unable to find a place to use registration key

Post by spud »

Just a quick one, have just installed BTP pro, was a registered trialer before so now can't or wont let me go any further with registration.. cant see anywhere that I can bypass ???
Help required pls Guys..
Spud Singapore..
Ozzie Brewer
In the land of the Padded Bra
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: unable to find a place to use registration key

Post by billvelek »

spud wrote:Just a quick one, have just installed BTP pro, was a registered trialer before so now can't or wont let me go any further with registration.. cant see anywhere that I can bypass ???
Help required pls Guys..
Spud Singapore..
"Registered trialer"??? There is no trial version, so how did you manage that? And as for the rest of this thread re registration keys, I've had to use them in the past, but oddly enough I was just able to remove BTP and then install it all over again and was never asked for a registration key. Must have still had some sort of a cookie set despite my uninstall.

Anyway, I would prefer to not have to deal with this from time to time, too, but I don't see it as being that much of a big deal -- not as long as its remains possible to obtain new keys when needed.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
spud
Light Lager
Light Lager

unable to find a place to use registration key

Post by spud »

Thanks Bill
for the reply at least.
Fact remains .... no matter what where or when I have a reistration key and no where to stick it..
As I said I need help,, not sympathy.
Beginning to think this software is more trouble that the purchase price..
Come on someone must have had this problem or the BTP team must have an ans..
Getting desp here !!!!
Cheers Spud
Ozzie Brewer
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Installed?

Post by jeff »

Have you run the installer to install the software on your computer? If so, what happens when you run the software? Do you receive an error message?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
spud
Light Lager
Light Lager

Installed?

Post by spud »

Hi Jeff.
I have installed the software on two PC so far, one which wont let me progress as I'm not the administrator the other is Home PC. By installing I mean I have downloaded the software and go through process of first registration heading towards where I presume I will be asked to apply the "key Numbers"..
As this is stoped by my registration previous I am blocked from the next screen.. The actual Trialer title that I was playing around with was never a full version, it just allowed me to bump around looking at recipes and what not.
So maybe if my registration was removed and I do it again I would be able to complete the installation. I have tried re registration but my email address is locked in so that fails as well.
Maybe U are able to knock me out and let me start again.
Sure if thats carried out then I'm on me way..
cheers Spud
Ozzie Brewer
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Registration Window

Post by jeff »

Do you see the registration window like the one on this page: http://www.beertoolspro.com/wiki/License_Key?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff