Primary Fermentation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Primary Fermentation

Post by HardcoreLegend »

I recently brewed a beer from a recipe which instructed for a two week primary fermentation. I have read that leaving your beer on the trub sediment in the primary fermenter for too log can result in off flavors in the finished beer. What do people here reccommend? Also, the same recipe calls for a 3-4 week secondary conditioning period. I added a teaspoon of rehydrated Irish Moss to the boil that wasn't in the recipe. Since this usually helps to clear the beer, do I need to go that long in the secondary? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The Yeastie Beasties

Post by BillyBock »

I make ales mostly and it'll stay in the primary about 1 week and in the secondary 1-2 weeks. Now, I have left it in the primary for 2-3 weeks before due to my schedule (and all the carboys were full)--I didn't notice anything funky.

WRT the length of conditioning, I think it depends on the yeast strain. I used one that just didn't want to settle even after 2 weeks in the fridge. If it looks relatively clear after a week, then I say bottle it and let it bottle condition.