Carbonation - Dissolved CO2

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Carbonation - Dissolved CO2

Post by bzwrxbz »

I am doing something slightly different than before, I am chilling my wort (ale) to drop the particulates before I bottle.

So, fermentation has completed, and now I am bringing the carboy/beer down to less than 45F.

In the carbonation tab, it lets you select what temperature the beer is at, so it can determine the correct priming agent mass based on CO2 levels in the beer.

Now, i understand that at lower temperatures, the liquid can hold more dissolved CO2... but, how would more CO2 get dissolved into the liquid if it fermented at higher temperatures (65F)?

So, should I set the beer temp to ambient/fermentations temps, or to the actual 45F (or whatever) that i am bottling the beer at?

Do these questions make sense, or am I confusing the subject?

thanks!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
slothrob

CO2

Post by slothrob »

I'm always a little perplexed by what to do about this, as well.

Certainly there's little fermentation at this point, but there might still be a small amount, even at 45
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Yeast will continue to give off CO2 even at lower temperatures, at least for a while. That's what I've always read anyway. I can tell you, though, that if your beer has been at 45F for any length of time, you truly don't need as much priming sugar.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

To be safe, and not sorry... i just slowly raised the temperature back to 60F or so, and primed with the given amounts of DME.

i put a little bit of yeast in before bottling as well, just in case i dropped out too many of them during the cold crash.

I am sure it will end up ok.

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com