sweet honey wheat

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

farfromrice

sweet honey wheat

Post by farfromrice »

Well I am a newbie making a second batch of sweet honey wheat. I read if you transfer to the secondary and add some honey that the overall taste of honey is more realevent. So I was wondering should I wait till the airlock slows way down then transfer to the secondary and add the honey. Any advice would be great
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

During the primary fermentation, CO2 bubbles with "scrub" out many flavors such as fruit and honey, which is why they are often added to the secondary.

Wait until the primary fermentation is complete, rack to the secondary and add the honey. You will get a secondary fermentation when you added the honey, but it shouldn't be a vigorous as the primary. Don't bottle until the secondary fermentation is complete, or you could end up with exploding bottles.

Todd
farfromrice

Post by farfromrice »

So I should wait till my hydrometer reading stays the same for three readings and then transfer to the secondary then I will add the final lb of honey then wait till it has finished and my reading is the same for three more readings then bottle .. I am just worried about not having enough active yeast for the beer to carbonate. I thought 7 days in he primary should be enough.
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Unless you leave it in the secondary for an extended period of time, you'll have plenty of yeast still in suspension to carbonate.

Todd
farfromrice

Post by farfromrice »

Perfect thanks I will give it a try . thanks for the help,
FaRfRoMrIcE