Kellerbier

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

lordarpad

Kellerbier

Post by lordarpad »

does anybody know how to make Kellerbier?

it is a medium brown beer from Franconia, relatively strongly hopped. 2 breweries that make it are Buttenheimer St.Georgenbraeu and Buttenheimer Loewenbraeu
slothrob

Kellerbier

Post by slothrob »

I've never made one, but a Kellerbier's closest reletive is probably an Oktoberfest, so I'd start with an Oktoberfest recipe scaled down to about 5% ABV. Lots of Munich and probably Hallertauer hops, mostly confined to a bittering addition. These are well ballanced between hops and malt. This is a lager, so use a good German lager yeast. Like a Wheat beer, a Kellerbier

Traditionally, Kellerbiers were amber and nearly flat, as they were fermented in casks that allowed the gas to escape. Bottled versions I've had have been reletively light yellow, somewhere between a helles and an Oktoberfest and reasonably effevescent, with a bit of funkiness from the yeast. You'll need to naturally carbonate and serve with enough yeast to make it cloudy.

This is a great style, good luck!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP