Anyone used ProMash?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Anyone used ProMash?

Post by bredmakr »

Has anyone used the ProMash program or any other calculators other than those provided on this website? If so, would you recommend them for the homebrewer?
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yes - constantly

Post by Push Eject »

I'm a big ProMash fan. Every recipe I make gets run through ProMash if for nothing else that I can type notes to myself in it that I can't here on BeerTools.
Of course ProMash doesn't come with a great built-in community of beer brewers like BeerTools does!
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I recommend it, but....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I use ProMash when brewing both at home and the brewery. I strongly recommend it, but if you are all-graining, there may be a learning curve depending on the level of your experience.

To use the program for all-grain batches, it is required that you have a good handle on measuring steps in the process to establish baseline efficiencies so that your results are consistent.

To most fully impliment this program in your brewing, make sure you fully understand how to perform these calculations manually. Then take a batch that you made via manual calculations, enter the variables into ProMash and compare the resultant specifications. They should match very closely, although they may deviate somewhat because the ProMash calculations are often more precise than some of the manual equations. If you neglect doing this, you may not be able to recognize when something is wrong, so don't blindly follow the program's results. (Don't do this with ANY batch formulator for the same reason !!!!)

Many homebrewers do not like the added complexity that is required to competently use the product. If you do get a handle on the basics of manual recipy formulation, ProMash frees you up to be more creative with grist compositions since the calculations are done for you very accurately. An added advantage is given to the refractometer user since the post pitch calculations to correct for fermentation effects are built in which negates the need for the manual calculations. (I will be posting these as soon as I have the time, watch the post regarding this topic)

I recently read (can't remember where) a review of all the commercially available batch creation and tracking software that rated ProMash as significantly better than all of the others.

Eric