finished brew problem

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

londonaftermi26

finished brew problem

Post by londonaftermi26 »

i have a blue moon clone, no off flavors, just seems to taste watery when it gets cold, but a room temp it has more body and flavor, i was wondering has anyone had this particular deliema, or is just still a green beer, also its has been bottled already

thanks
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

You didn't mention how cold you store the beer, but cold tends to subdue flavor and aroma. It could be that you are keeping the beer too cold. As a general rule I like to keep my kegerator set around 42-45
londonaftermi26

blue moon

i put the beer in the freezer for about 20 mins, and right into the fridge about about 10 mins, so i'd guess the temp was about 40 degrees
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

How long has it been bottled?

Keeping the bottle in the fridge for a couple days could help.
londonaftermi26

this brew has been bottled for over a week, at a room temp, its flavor is prefect, but when i chill it in the fridge, the carbonation goes away, and it taste watery, now im aware that carbonation decrases as it gets colder due to compacting of carbonation molecules, but it just doesnt seem right, did i possible miss somthing or shorted somthing in the brewing stage, such as ingredients , im just confused :roll:
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

londonaftermi26 wrote:this brew has been bottled for over a week, at a room temp, its flavor is prefect, but when i chill it in the fridge, the carbonation goes away
I usually have to condition the beer at room temp for at least 3 weeks to get decent carbonation. After the conditioning period I will leave the bottles at room temp for a while, and only refrigerate those that will be consumed. Starting another batch helps with the wait :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

yeah, it just needs a couple more weeks to get a good carbonation
londonaftermi26

little bit of a update, my blue moon clone seems to have much more carbonation, but the lager i made and was sitting in the fridge @ 40 degress for 3 weeks seems weak on taste, and the carbonation if any ,goes away when cold, but when it warms up i have a bit of carbonation, the pesky result is this lager has been aging for 3 weeks, so im wondering if the yeast went dormant due to the cold temp and if i will need to bring the temp up to produce more carbonation and then finally finish the process, if anyone has input, or had a similar situation let me know thanks
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

How long did you have the lager in the primary? How long was it in the secondary, if you used one?

How long has it been conditioning?

The temperature is just about where you would want it, maybe raise it to where it is around 45-50 degrees. Lagers will take a few months of conditioning before they are ready. I would just give it more time.
londonaftermi26

sat in the primary for 3 weeks, then bottled and put in the fridge for an addtional 3 weeks, i have them out of the fridge and at room temp, cracked one open last night, although warm. little more cabornation, is it possible the hops particle i left in from the boil may have consumed the flavor properties
slothrob

carbonation

Post by slothrob »

Are you carbonating the lager bottles at 40
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
londonaftermi26

thank you for the reply, it seems to make much more sense to me now, im just so impatient when it comes to the most anticipated wait of tasting your own creation, thanks again
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

No kidding, but the wait is well worth it. I just made a brown at the beginning of February and bottled at the beginning of March, now after a couple months conditioning it is very good. In two weeks it was good, but now it is excellent. Just don't drink as many while your waiting. :D
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

No carbonation...

Post by kabbo »

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my two last batches (a Dubbel and a English IPA).

I've never had any carbonation problems before, but now the bottles don't have much, if any, even after 2 months @ room temp.

Both batches sat 1 week in primary @80F, and 3-4 weeks in the secondary at the same temp. I even made a starter for the second one to ensure better pitching rate... Maybe I got two bad liquid yeasts, but it seems pretty anormal to me..

The difference between thoses batches and all I've brewed so far is that I'm now bottling in ez-cap type bottles, which seem even more airtight than normal capped bottles. Could it be the caps ?

I even added some primed dried yeast into every bottle for one of the batch, 1 month after bottling to troubleshoot... Now it has little carb, a nice head for 1 minute that dissapears, and the beer feels flat.

The IPA didn't have any added yeast, and is 100% flat after 1 month...

What the !"/$%?&*( ??

I'm getting hungry wasting those tasty batches, and thinking of force carbonating, or unloading a truckload of dry yeast and prime sugar in every bottle.

What are the possible causes ?

Thank you so much