Medieval double mash process

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Medieval double mash process

Post by Bob57702 »

I've been looking at Gregory Noonan's Scotch Ale (Classic Beer #8 ) and it has recipes for double mashing using an older method than what's common now. There are a couple things to this method that I don't understand. The first thing I don't understand are the double mash recipes' fermentables when compared to a single mash. He's doing a 140/- Scotch Ale (OG= 1.100) using double mashing method with less fermentables (11lbs) than a single mash (15lbs). On top of that he was pulling out a 2-penny batch with the second mash. This just doesn't make sense to me. The second item I think I'm getting a handle on after reading the section several times. That's the sparging process. The recipes for the two 5-gallon batches have you sparging the first 4 gallons for the first batch then an additional 3-gal 1 1/2qts to heat and use for the second mash. The first 1 1/2 gals of the second sparge tops off the first batch and then you collect the rest for the second batch.

Does anyone have experience using this method and can you shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Medieval double mash process

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Bob,

This is my take on the Double Mash process.

I think what Noonan is trying to get at is that you run off 4 gallons of wort into one vessel, and then collect the additionl 3 gallons and 1.5 qts in a different vessel for use with the second mashing.

This method indicates that 2 separate mashes take place with the mash tun being emptied after the run offs above have been performed. The mash tun is then refilled with another 11 lbs of grain, and the 2nd runnings are then added to this mash along with any added water needed to hydrate the grist and mash the grains. After conversion, the runoff process is again split with the first runnings being delivered to the 1st kettle, then the second runnings delivered to the second kettle. Usually the second runnings (2 penny) batch comes in at a much lower gravity than the first running batch probably around 1.035 or so.

Also, in a "normal" double mash, I have heard that the first runnings or the total runnings are returned to the second mash batch to use as the water to hydrate the grist. This method may also be used to brew up a Belguim Dark Strong or any other high gravity brew if you don't have a mash tun big enough to handle the grain volume required in the recipe.

At least...that is my understanding of what a "double mash" is.

Hope this helps!

Ron (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Bob57702 »

Now that actually makes more sense now. I can see how that could possibly hit the OG numbers that Noonan mentions. I'm not sure if the 2-penny will be all that low in OG though. I'll likely attempt it this weekend if I can free up some carboys. I'll let you know how it goes when I do it.

Thanks for the advice.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Bob and YW too!

I for one would be very interested to know your results if you do perform the double mash this weekend. If you would, could you please post the gravities of both worts here when you get a chance? and also your grain bill and any other information concerning your brew session using this method.

Thanks!
Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Bob57702 »

wottaguy,
I'll post a fairly detailed results of the brew. I do intend to do it I'm just having a little timing issue with my starter. I have to have a considerable amount for a Scotch & Scottish ale. I won't be oxygenating either one and I'll be fermenting at low temps thus the reason for the very large starters. I'm at work so I don't have the exact recipe but here's an outline of what I'm planning (approximate quantities). I'll post everything after I actually do the brew session.

Bob O.

Total grain bill is about 29lbs split in half. Total hops is 3oz of Fuggle added 1oz at 60 mins & 0.5oz at 45 mins for each batch.

First Mash
..1st 4-gal for Scotch Ale
....SG = ?
..Remaining 3-gal for 2nd mash
....SG = ?
Second Mash using the 3-gal above plus top off
..1st 2-gal for Scotch Ale
....SG = ?
....Total Scotch Ale preboil SG = ?
..Remaing running for Scottish Ale
....Total Scottish Ale pre boil SG = ?
Scotch Ale OG = ? (1.100+ Anticipated)
Scotish Ale SG = ? (1.060+ Anticpated)
Bob
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Great! I'll look forward to seeing your results. Sounds great!

Thanks!
Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common