1st time question

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Toobsmp

1st time question

Post by Toobsmp »

Hey this is my first time brewing at home, im using a 5 gallon carboy ... I pitched the yeast with a temp of 78 , which i guess is a little high ; within 3 hours it started boiling rapidly and bubbling out the relief tube. Im just curious because it stopped after about 12 hours and some people say it lasts for 3 days .... Have i ruined this batch, or do you think im alright ?
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Sounds OK

Post by andytv »

Without knowing the type of beer & yeast, I'd say your OK, unless you had some severe lapses in sanitary practices. I've had several batches peak (high krausen) within 12-20hrs. Just because your not blowing foam through your airlock doesn't mean your done fermenting, it has just slowed significantly. I'd wait a week, then transfer to another carboy for a secondary fermentation (a good idea regardless of your recipe). Also, yeast pitched at 78F should be fine (again this is somewhat dependant on the strain but most are OK at this temp). I generally pitch at 75F, but have pitched at 80-85 w/o ill effects. Do yourself a favor and read through some of this forum's archives, I recall several past discussions about vigorous fermentation, etc.

Oh yeah, if you were using a blowoff tube as an airlock, now it may be a good idea to replace it with a "bubbler" type airlock so you can more easily see the fermentation gas escaping and tell if you are still fermenting, and theres always the old faithful hydrometer readings.

Prosit!!

Andy
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

wait it out and see

Post by stumpwater »

Patience is what I advocate. I am only on my 9th batch of beer and by no means an expert, but I have had all my batches ferment aggressively and quickly in the primary. By the way, all my batches were brewed with Cooper's brewer's ale yeast and it is a strain that can take a little higher temperature from what I understand. My primary fermenting is usually wrapped up within 3 days at 25 degrees centigrade. The beer has always tasted great. Just wait it out as best you can, and good luck!