Black and Tans

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

Black and Tans

Post by beef »

Yes I was hoping you could find me a nice recipe for both a Black N' Tan & Triple Bock beer. I understand that normally a Black N' Tan
is 2 different beers but I was wondering if you could just brew them together. If so where can I find a recipe? Your help would be
greatly appreciated.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

black and tan

Post by stumpwater »

In my kneck of the woods, a black and tan is a 1/2 pint of Stout (generally Guiness) with a bitter floating on top. (generally Kilkenny). Another combo that is sometimes popular is a black velvet which is 1/2 cider and 1/2 stout. The stout is floated on top of the cider. Watch out for this combo though. It packs a bit of a punch!
beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

Recipe

Post by beef »

Do you have a recipe I can use instead of mixing to already brewed beers?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mistype ?

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

" ...black and tan is a 1/2 pint of Stout (generally Guiness) with a bitter floating on top. (generally Kilkenny)."

If the Kilkenny is the one I'm familar with, it is higher in specific gravity than the Guiness and therfore, if poured correctly, will suspend the Guiness ABOVE the Kilkenny, not the other way around.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Better seperated than combined

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hey Beef, you will like it a lot better if you brew them seperately, I tried to brew what I thought would be a great black and tan and it came out crappy. Brew an Irish ale and a stout seperately, there are plenty of recipes in beer tools to help you. Once you do that pour 1/2 pint of the ale and then tip a spoon upside down just over the ale and SLOWLY pour the stout onto the spoon and let it float on top ... you'll like this better.

Round these parts pubs use 1/2 Harp Lager and Guiness ...

Cheers,

Paul.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yes, a mistype, sorry to mislead

Post by stumpwater »

Indeed I had that backwards and upside down. In fact, blacks and tans look so visually appealing because the lighter coloured beers ARE suspending the darker beers. Sorry, caught in a momentary lapse of reasoning...(still don't have a recipe for a combination brew though)