recipe help?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

mattbutcher

recipe help?

Post by mattbutcher »

To all,

I am looking for an accurate recipe for king and barnes sussex ale... I am getting married in july and looking to brew a replica for the wedding reception.

King and barnes brewery used to opperate in my home town of Horsham, uk. I would just buy a keg however, the brewery closed down a few years ago. I would relly like to brew a celebration ale for the wedding and for nostalgia reasons my favourite beer now unavailable from my home town.

Can anyone help me?

Matt.
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

K&B Sussex

Post by cozrulz »

mattbutcher

Post by mattbutcher »

Thanks for your help..

Although my present plight is un-fixed and with time running out. only 3 months to go. I don't normally hold with blind panic, however i'd better get a test brew on quick.....

I have an old recipe already from 'Brewing beers like those you buy' by Dave Line. He died though in 1979 and I was hoping someone had devised a more modern twist seeing as home brew has developed massively since the days of yore.

Someone HELP please..

Matt.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: K&B Sussex

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Matt!

Interesting question you have there!
Although I have never tried this English Bitter, it sounds like an interesting brew! Brewing wise, at what level of experience do you consider yourself? Have you ever tried to create any "clones" before? Can you describe the color and the over all taste to me? I would like to assist you in creating this recipe for you to brew. Please tell me your impressions of this ale if you would. You stated that you have an older recipe for this ale? would you mind posting it here so we can view it? This ale is a rather low alcohol brew and is a very traditional English Bitter. I imagine it as being soft and malty, with a distinguishing slight bitter taste on the end. Anything else you can tell us would help out a lot.
I'm game if you are to try to work up a clone of this ale!
I'll be looking forward to your response!
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

K&B Sussex ale recipe

Post by wottaguy »

Ok Matt...haven't seen you lately but here goes. You can view the recipe at the url below::

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6354

Enjoy! (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: K&B Sussex ale

Post by Bob57702 »

I have at home the "The Homebrewers Recipe Database" by Les Howarth. He's a gentleman from Scotland. It contains the basic information on over 2,000 European beers. Unfortunately the data for the K&B Sussex Bitters is somewhat vague. It does give the grains & hops used but no quantities except I believe it had the overall IBU. If that would help I could post the info tonight when I get home.
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: sussex

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Bob,

Any info that you have there would help out a lot! I basicly put the recipe together from various descriptions that I have read on the net. Nothing definative...especially about the color. I consulted Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers and chose to make the color on the low end for the style. I know that the brewery may have used a blend of 2 different yeasts and I am considering of trying that. The current recipe I formulated uses only 1, but I may change that.

Thanks I'll be waiting to hear from you tonight!
Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

RE: Sussex Bitter

Post by Bob57702 »

Sorry this took so long. Had some computer issues...the wife kept interrupting me to do her stuff.

Anyhow here's what was in the book. There were four versions with the primary difference in the malt. The info is very vague but at least it's something to start from.

Version 2 & 3 (Version 1 doesn't have the Whitbread Hops or IBU info)
OG: 1.034
Grain/Malt:
Puffin Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Enzymic Malt
Flaked Maize
Hops:
Challenger
Goldings
Whitbread Goldings Variety
Late Hops:
Yes (aroma)
IBU:

Version 4 (1997)
OG: 1.034
Grain/Malt:
Puffin Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Chocolate Malt
Flaked Maize
Hops:
Challenger
Goldings
Whitbread Goldings Variety
Late Hops:
Yes (aroma)
IBU:

Good luck,
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks!

Post by wottaguy »

Thanks Bob!

What is puffin Malt? Anyways I seem to be close on my 1st attempt at formulation. I just have to change the bittering hop, add the flaked maise and the rest should be ok! I'll let you know how it comes out after I brew it! I'm planning a 20 gallon batch and it should be interesting.
Thanks again for all your help. I see their was no color information. Oh well...we'll see what I get.

Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Sussex Bitter

Post by Bob57702 »

The Puffin pale malt is likely just a brand. I was more curious about the enzymic malt. What the heck is that? Unfortunately the color is one aspect the recipe database didn't seem to have much of at all.

Good luck with the brew. I'll be waiting to hear how your final recipe turns out.
Bob
mattbutcher

the K&B problem..

Post by mattbutcher »

Thankyou very much guys....

Sorry i've so late in replying things are getting really busy at work. I am very grateful for your help and I am going to jump at it straight away on my next day off.

Thanks again.

Matt.