Kegged and carbonnated before its prime.

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

kamal

Kegged and carbonnated before its prime.

Post by kamal »

I have been breweing now for several years and have become lazy with some of the steps. I made an extreme lager and kegged and carbonnated it after three months of lagering without checking the FG. Regretably, it is too sweet and I suspect the high alcohol and sugar arressted complete fermentation. I immediately placed in "the cellar" to allow futher aging. My question is can this beer be salvaged with time or is it toast?
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Some details would help. Starting and ending gravities, etc.

Depending on how "extreme" the beer is, the initial gravity may simply be too high for the yeast to completely ferment out all of the sugars.

Todd
kamal

Post by kamal »

The OG was 1.082, and I am certain that the starting yeast (WLP Pilsen Lager) was overwhelmed by the strength. Since, in retrospect that is the probelm, my question is, can I salvage the beer that is now kegged and gassed. Can it be placed back in the carboy, allowed to decarbonate and finished with, perhaps, champagne yeast?
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

What was the final gravity before you kegged?

Otherwise, no need to put the beer back in a carboy. I'd release the keg pressure, pitch the yeast in the keg, pressurize it just enough to seal the lid again, as let the yeast ferment it out. You may want to check and make sure no excessive pressure is building up, but depending on how far the gravity needs to drop, you may just end up with a nicely naturally carbonated beer.

Todd
kamal

Post by kamal »

That is part of the problem. I did not check the FG prior to kegging. I noticed the problem when I tasted the (un)finished brew. I will decompress the keg add the champagne yeast and give it a shot.