Geographically, What region are you from ?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Upper Michigan

Post by yooper »

I come from a small town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan just across the border of Northern Wisconsin. We call it the U.P. The name people use for us here is yoopers, hence my login name. We have a small brewery in across the border in Florence Wisconsin called the Nicolet Brewery. They are a pretty low keyed brewery so noone really knows alot of them. Other than that all we have is the most beautiful place to live that God could have given me. I can tap into the natural resources to make just about anything. What I can't grow for food I hunt. What I can't hunt I make. I make my own Maple Syrup so I have an abundance of it. I've been trying to create a decent maple recipe from my wares. Its gotten alot better over the past year. My next try is to use 5 gallons of the maple sap instead of water. It is mostly water with about a 3 to 4 percent natural sugar content. If anyone has tried this let me know. I could always use and invite any insight I could get.
Yooper
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Albany, NY------>Hershey, PA

Post by dartedplus »

Right now in Albany, NY, but right after memorial day I will be moving to the land of chocolate, Hershey, PA.....or somewhere close to it. My wife will be starting her residency in pediatrics and I will be starting my stint as daddy. Cheers all.
Sven
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lancaster, CA

Post by Sven »

About 65 miles North of Los Angeles, but still in L.A. county
The Home Beer, Wine, & Cheese Shop is my closet HBS.
I've been brewing for about a year and a half now, and I am in the process of stepping up to all grain brewing. I only need to obtain a false bottom for my 10gal Rubbermaid cooler and a propane burner, and then my questions will be flying.
Sven
Light Lager
Light Lager

Check this place out!

Post by Sven »

No visit to San Diego would be complete without a visit to Stone Brewing Co. If you don't get Arrogant !@#$ in your part of the country check out their website at www.stonebrewing.com to see what you are in for.
I mean it! Don't miss this place.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Omaha, NE

Post by BillyBock »

If you're ever out in this area, make sure you stop by the Upstream Brewery in downtown Omaha. They've got good food and even better beer. I particularly like their Scotch Ale. Our water here is pretty alkaline and pretty hard--it works for darker beers, so I haven't made too many pale beers. I love the heck out of brewing, and as soon as I get the finishing touches on my 2-tier, I'll love it even more. Right now I'm grappling with fixing a vapor-lock problem when trying to pump hot liquor to the HLT (talk about frustrating). Take care now.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Secret Brewing?

Post by Push Eject »

So it's a closet home brew store you go to, huh? Dude... tryin' to hide the hobby from the wife, eh?! :)
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fort Collins, CO

Post by Team Beer »

Milwaukee of the Rockies
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Plenty Here

Post by l48shark »

We have our share of arrogant !@#$ here in Arkansas, but no beer by that name. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Cheers,
Ford
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

road trip

Post by Freon12 »

Drop me a note next time you intend to visit near the barrel. I'll give you an insiders tour.
Or anybody else that drops by for that matter.
McBees

Welcome to the lands of BYO

Post by McBees »

Greetings from Manheim, PA----about a 20 minute drive from Hershey
entguy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Iowa City IA

Post by entguy »

I started brewing out in N-CA over volcanic bedrock -- perfectly soft water. When we moved back here, I beat my head against infected beer until I finally realized that the H2O hardness was making it impossible to get an adequate pH drop to create a biologically stable product. Went to using about 40% bottled water for brewing and the difficulty vanished...

Didjya get the vapor lock figured out? Vapor lock or cavitation?

Iowa's pretty repressive for brewers, so we don't have a lot of brewpub action here. I have yet to check out Fitzpatrick's in IACity since they hired a new brewer; Blue Cat in the Quad Cities runs a pretty phenomenal espresso stout from time to time. Good brewfest here 3rd weekend in Sept every year if you're in the neighborhood!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The Heartland

Post by BillyBock »

Isn't this hard water in the midwest a PITA? I usually leave the mash liquor alone and adjust the pH with salts. However, I acidify the sparge water to 5.7. On the last batch the pre-boil wort pH was 5.0. Give it a try it might be cheaper than using bottled water.

Yep, got the pumping problem nailed. I had both vapor lock and cavitation. The cavitation was first, then the lock--I couldn't even get a gravity siphon to go out the drain at one point! I re-did some plumbing to make sure I didn't have any unnecessary resistance on the pump discharge and re-torqued all the threaded fittings (at least so I thought). When I attempted brewing again, I had cavitation problems again trying to pump mash liquor to the MLT :-( It turned out to be the last place I thought (isn't it always?)--the ball valve fitting on the kettle wasn't tight. Fixed it and guess what? Worked like a champ! I almost gave up in disgust though...good thing I didn't. It made for a long day, but I now have 13 gals of Munich Dunkel happily fermenting with Wyeast 2112. Now I can't wait to make that next modification to make the 2-tier even easier to use....hmmmm...

Is the brewfest a competition or just a beer lovers paradise? Ya got a web address for it?