Priorities between windows and any future linux release

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Priorities between windows and any future linux release

Post by billvelek »

I just noticed that the 'sticky' for the Linux petition now indicates it has reached 81 out of the requested 100 users. I'd just like to comment now that I sincerely hope that if and when that figure reaches 100, that it won't mean that Jeff and Lathe are going to immediately undertake development of a Linux version, and I hope that it will still be postponed until at least all bugs have been removed from the Windows version and at least some of the major promised enhancements are in place, such as an inventory tool. I can understand Linux folks being anxious, but on the other hand, Windows users have already paid for our program and have been patiently working through many issues. It just wouldn't be fair for things to slow down in the least on the Windows side, in my opinion.

Speaking of bugs, Jeff/Lathe, in case you missed it I mentioned what looks like one in my recent post in the 'Pre-release group' forum. And actually, it looks like that bug goes a little deeper, but I need to sign off right now to get ready for work and will post more about it later tonight.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bzwrxbz »

I think they can do "mostly" concurrent development (meaning the majority of code is most likely shared), so I do not see it as being a problem.

cheers!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

bzwrxbz wrote:I think they can do "mostly" concurrent development (meaning the majority of code is most likely shared), so I do not see it as being a problem.

cheers!
I hope it won't be a problem, but if it's really all that easy to do concurrent development, why pose the question in the first place? Why not just throw in a few extra lines of code or whatever it takes to create a Linux version while creating a Windows version. I'm not a programmer and so I don't know enough about it to agree or disagree with you; I just don't want to have to wait for a significantly longer time for the Windows version to be finished, and I happen to think that customers who have already paid and invested time like I have deserve to be satisfied first. And I just wanted to express that sentiment before the one hundred Linux petitioners start anxously pushing for development in that area just because they've reached their goal.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768