Brass Fittings

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Ben Bythewood

Brass Fittings

Post by Ben Bythewood »

My friend and I recently have used brass compression fittings to connect two homemade wort chillers into one of suitable size. Is there any problem with using brass in the wort. Doesnt seem like there should be, but I thought I would ask just to be safe, and cant find any general info online.

~Ben
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Brass Fittings

Post by wottaguy »

Hi!

The use of brass has been a common one and you should not have any problems using them with your wort chillers. If you look around, all the mfgr's use them as standard equipment.

Hope this helps!
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Ben Bythewood

Post by Ben Bythewood »

Excellent, Thanks!
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I agree with wottaguy that there isn't a problem using brass in contract with the wort. If you are concerned about lead leaching into the wort you can pickle the brass using this method from John Palmer's book How To Brew:

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

HTH,
John