Aged hops - where to find, how to age?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Aged hops - where to find, how to age?

Post by kabbo »

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for aged hops (2-3) years to start a true Gueuze project.
I'd like to know if any of you knows a retailer that ships "pre-aged" hops, because I want to start brewing that Gueuze this year and don't want to wait 3 years before even starting the 4 years brewing project...that is an ultimate patience test...

Anyway, I'll start to age some hops by myself for the years to come to have a personnal supply, so what are the best techniques to age the hops ? I read somewhere "in an opened bag at room temp"... An opened bag exposed to ambiant air ? Wouldn't that kill the hops ?
Is it ok to go with hop leaves or is it necessary to have wholes ?

Thanks to all of you, this forum is the best homebrewing ressource I know !
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Cheesy Hops.... Yum!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Nope... can't buy them, to most this would be blasphemy!

Here is what I did years back....

Use Sazz whole hops, place them on a window screen in one layer. Place in a dark but very warm place. I used my attic in the summer... at one point it hit 127 degrees! I left them there for 3 months and then used them. Perfect! According to the Belgian brewers I have discussed this with the idea behind the "aging" is simply to only get bitterness out of them, no flavor or aroma. They also stated that the only reason they are using 3-4 year old hops is because that they layed back many bales for this purpose and they just happened to be that old. They said if aged in a hot, dark location that 3-4 months would yield the desired results. This is why I proceeded in this manner.

Good Luck!

Eric
Make your next beer (or spirit) a local one!!!!

Eric Watson
Head Distiller & Brewer

Seven Fathoms Rum
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands