Adding Extracts late in Boil

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

MrDanders
Light Lager
Light Lager

Adding Extracts late in Boil

Post by MrDanders »

I need some help in understanding why some recipes call for adding extracts late in the boil. Why, for example, does a BYO extract+grains recipe for an Anchor Steam clone have a usual first-boil addition of some DME, followed 45 minutes later by the addition of a can of LME?

What function is served in the boil of a late add?

Thanks.
fully_krausened
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lightness I believe...

Post by fully_krausened »

I may be wrong but I believe it has to do with not darkening the extracts by boiling them for the full time at such concentrated levels as are usually brewed in extract recipes. My understanding is that the extracts supposedly darken with long concentrated boils. Also, I think it has to do with hop utilization. Someone else can explain this aspect better than me. It is really only necessary to sterilize the extract by heating it for a short time thus the late addition.

Hope that helps some.
MrDanders
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Adding Extracts late in Boil

Post by MrDanders »

That makes sense....Thanks.
"Beer, beer, so amber and so clear. 'Tis not as sweet as woman's lips, but always more sincere..."
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Hop utilization and carmelization, which results in that darkening of the color and a flavor change that some people credit with giving many extract beers a detectable off-flavor.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
MrDanders
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by MrDanders »

Thanks. Does that mean that you can really wait longer to put extract into a grain tea for all recipes? Also, is there a difference between DME and LME in the boil? That is, does one or the other stand up better to the full 60-minute boil?

I'm still learning this stuff -- On my 3rd batch now.

MrD.
"Beer, beer, so amber and so clear. 'Tis not as sweet as woman's lips, but always more sincere..."