Wanted an opinion on my fermentation temp...

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Wanted an opinion on my fermentation temp...

Post by cozrulz »

My primary looks to be off to a good start, but I'm wondering if it might be too cold. Here is the what is happening:
  • The fermometer is reading at about 62 degrees.
    The Wyeast British Ale yeast says it ferments well down to 65 degrees.
    The airlock is going every 2-3 seconds.
So, should I move it to a warmer spot about 68 degrees? I think it would also be more even temperature wise. Right now, where it is at could be between 60-70 degrees depending on the time of day. At night it may even drop down cooler than that.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Sounds fine. it's probably warmer inside the fermentor, at the worst, it might be a little cleaner than typical of an English Ale.

I often ferment under these conditions, with good success. The one concern is that, as the fermentation slows, the temperature inside will drop, and the yeast could drop out prematurely. The precaution that I take is that, when it's that cool, I'll try to move the fermentor to a spot 65-68
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

Alright, I'll see what it is doing and possibly move it in a couple of days.
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

If you want some fruity esters typical in an English beer, you might want to try to warm it up a bit. Wrap it with a blanket or a sleeping bag. It will warm from the release of heat due to yeast metabolism. You might want to check the temp to see how much warmer it gets and make adjustments as needed.
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

It's alright, it is sitting between 64-68.