Bottle Conditioning Lagers

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottle Conditioning Lagers

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I was noticing that my lager in its cold status (40 degrees) had a lot of carbonation. Is it possible that I could bottle it without priming sugars as it seemed to the correct level as I drank it from the hydrometer tube?
I did let it warm up and added 1/2 cup priming sugar before bottling but had a dickens of a time with foaming. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

James
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have evolved

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I have laid down the bottle for the keg. I now have a lager and a ale on tap and have another ale in the secondary. Kegging is just too easy.
I have been giving away my bottles... anyone want some? (Local pick up only)
jctull
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by jctull »

Old topic with no reply...

Your original issue with overcarbonation of lagers can occur because a great deal of CO2 is kept in solution during ferment due to the low temperature ferment. So carbonating based on traditional suggested amounts of priming agent can produce an overcarbonated finished beer.

Using kegs overcomes this to some degree because force carbonating can be determined based on target volumes of CO2, the temperature of the beer, and the pressure of CO2 being released into the keg.

Now that you have found kegging, you know why kegging is such a great option: convenient, quick, less time consuming, etc.
OS X 10.5, MBP, 2GB